*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915530-I-Cant-Stop-Playing-Stronghold-Kingdoms
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#915530 added July 16, 2017 at 6:12pm
Restrictions: None
I Can't Stop Playing Stronghold Kingdoms
I have put substantial money into video games over the years. Not all at once, because I don't have that kind of money, but as someone who has gamed since childhood, I have definitely put money into it. I buy games on sale and in bundles, and I have developed quite the video game collection. But what have I gone and done? Put nearly 3k hours into Stronghold Kingdoms.

Stronghold Kingdoms is an online multiplayer real time strategy game that is offered as free to play. You build a castle and village, you build up your supplies, you farm and do industry work, you battle NPCs (non-player characters, essentially computer generated opponents or allies) on their own turf, and fight off NPCs when they attack you. Because there are thousands of other players involved in each Stronghold Kingdoms world, you also end up vying for control of certain areas, and find yourself on the defensive against other invading players. You can also attack other players in the world, and even steal or destroy their villages.

I have been playing this game for a few years now, so don't think that I somehow put thousands of hours into this game recently. This has been a building involvement over time. Of course, of all my paid games, I have to focus on one that is mainly free. That said, I have actually put money into the game to access extra goodies. The game is significantly more enjoyable when you have premium tokens in play (these allow you to create research and building queues, set certain activities to continue after you've logged off, and a few other handy benefits), and when you have access to extra card packs to alter the game play for yourself.

Stronghold Kingdoms is honestly a blast. I like games that allow me to build, and the other functions add to the whole environment of it for me. It's an easy game to lose myself in, and I often find myself playing it while doing just about anything else online. I am playing it right now actually. I am selling meat and vegetables. I have set my research point to research the last point of weapon making. I also just repaired my castle walls in both my villages after they had been attacked by NPCs while I was offline. I don't mind this so much, as it all contributes to what I enjoy about the game. I won't pretend I am not completely salty about it when other players attack me.

Anything medieval style tends to capture my attention quite thoroughly. This has definitely been no exception. I feel like a complete dork for being so drawn into a simplistic freebie game, but it definitely has hooked me. I actually stayed with one game world until the game world came to an actual conclusion (this took a loooong time btw), and used the rewards I received from having finished with a game world to start from scratch in one of the newer game worlds. I feel like I'm actually getting pretty okay at the game, although I am definitely amazed by the more powerhouse players. I hope some day I can be good enough to rule countries in the game.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Seventy-Five. Eight days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915530-I-Cant-Stop-Playing-Stronghold-Kingdoms