*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916830-The-Garden-City-of-the-Caribbean
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#916830 added August 5, 2017 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
The Garden City of the Caribbean


Quotation: "We must all remember the lessons of the past as a guide for the management of the present and the planning for the future." by Dr. Cheddi Jagan http://jagan.org/Quotations/cj_quotations.html

Aug. 5th We’ll be leaving at 6:00 am and flying to Guyana
Our lodging looks really nice but a bit on the pricey side.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294078-d7143305-Reviews-Guyana_Marriot...
We will be seeing a multiple of things but please be aware of the danger of being by one’s self.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d315738-Reviews-St_George_...
This 43-meter high Gothic cathedral was built in 1842.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d3210784-Reviews-Promenade...
This garden is well kept and is a good place to visit in Georgetown. Guyana. There is no entrance fee. It has a beautiful statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d3317948-Reviews-Georgetow...
We’ll be grabbing food along the way, snacks and drinks because dinner is going to be so worth the calories.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294078-d4784038-Reviews-Aagman_Re...
I found Aagman on trip advisor while visiting family in Georgetown and ate there tonight. Went with my family and couldn't have had a better experience. From the first bite we were in love. Use to live in NYC and eat Indian everywhere we go. This food was without a doubt, the best we've ever had. If you are considering this spot, stop thinking and just go. Service was wonderful too! All around a top experience. Just wish we didn't live so far away. Aagman set the bar super high!


Are you having fun? *Cool*

Book: Guyana Legends by Odeen Ishmael This book can be found on Google Play in eBook form for $3.00.

Guyana is located on the West side of Venezuela and Brazil. The Prime Minister is Moses Nagamootoo. Guyana weather is just over the rainy season, so there may still be some flooding. Although, there are not any special government alerts for Guyana the Canadian Government cautions are to be considered. All cautions are still in affect as of today. Always ask a police officer for his identification if he approaches you. Holdups, theft of personal property, and shootings are possible. Even in the shopping districts there is danger of pick pockets and other violence. Zika is also a problem in Guyana so wear lots of bug spray.

The most current news is a new broadcasting bill has been passed. The Guyana Press Association is against the amendments to the bill saying, It will curtail freedom of the press in Guyana, other broadcasting such as Channel 6 believes it will not have any particular parts that will affect the press in any exceptional way.

Today's tour of the Georgetown Lighthouse was awesome. It stands 103 feet over Water Street. How many of us climbed our way up the 138 stairs to the viewing deck at the top? The Deck was full of our group so I know many of us made it all the way up. Even part way up there were places to take pictures over looking the city. Ships on the ocean can view this light from 30 to 40 miles away. I think people are naturally drawn to lighthouses because they represent safety. The viewing deck is a great place to become oriented to directions in Georgetown.

The beauty of the Promenade Gardens was a special treat. Because of the recent rainy season the gardens were lush. Georgetown's nick name is "The Garden city of the Caribbean." It has botanical gardens and a zoo as well as the Promenade Gardens. the Promenade Gardens are located across from the President's Mansion.

A lot of the sights of Georgetown can be experienced at www.youtube.com with "walk with me" videos with Raphael. there is also a youtube video listing the cautions for tourists in Guyana.

At the Georgetown Cathedral we were able to view the inside and sit for a few peaceful moments of contemplation and prayer. It is a beautiful building with lots of historical interest.

We finished the evening with a meal at Aagaman restaurant. The Indian quinine there is yummy. We sat around a large table where I ate and listened to the stories Carla, Blue Moon, Neva, Lady Sally Sunspear and others told about what they experienced today. It is interesting that even when you travel in a group everyone has something new to tell.

You can see the Lighthouse from the Marriott.

Merit Badge in Blog Camping
[Click For More Info]

Thank you for your participation in the  [Link To Item #30dbc] 's December 2016 Australian Tour! We hope you had a great time! *^*Bigsmile*^* 

- [Link To User flamebreather]  &  [Link To User fivesixer]

© Copyright 2017 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916830-The-Garden-City-of-the-Caribbean