*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917048
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2129941
A repository of all my writings for WDC's Game of Thrones.
#917048 added August 12, 2017 at 2:02pm
Restrictions: None
House of the Undying: Wizard of Two Realms

Previous Entries

The evil wizard Demazar gazed out at the bleak countryside that surrounded his bleak tower. He sighed, secretly wishing he could live somewhere warmer, preferably with a nice breeze and the sound of crashing surf in the distance, but it really wouldn’t do for an evil wizard to have a lair where people actually wanted to visit, so he was stuck in this awful out-of-the-way tower that no one else wanted, in a part of the kingdom that was too dreary for anyone to visit.

At least he saved a bundle on the property fees!

Another thing that annoyed Demazar about being an evil wizard was how so many evil wizard plans somehow involved the good people of the realm nominating a Chosen One to rise up and thwart those plans. Well, Demazar was no fool, and he decided that he should just destroy the people’s Chosen One before he even got started with his plans. That way, he wouldn’t be expending too much effort on something that might never come to pass. Despite what people liked to think, henchmen and nefarious schemes required money, and if there was one thing Demazar was (besides evil), it was frugal.

Unfortunately, thwarting the Chosen One meant finding the Chosen One and, until that happened, Demazar was left with precious little else to do but stare out his tower window, gazing at the bleak countryside around him and wishing for an ocean view instead.

Off in the distance, Demazar spotted a rider approaching through the mists and gray hills. As the rider approached, Demazar realized it was one of the emissaries he sent to scour every corner of the realm for any sign of the Chosen One.

“Open the gates!” Demazar exclaimed to the nearest guards. “A rider returns!”

Demazar hurried to the throne room, taking his seat just as the guards ushered the rider inside. The evil wizard did his best to seem uninterested in his visitor, instead casting his gaze casually around the room, taking in the vaulted, arched ceilings and the suits of armor lining the walls.

“My Lord,” the rider said, kneeling once he reached the foot of the throne. “I have news from the Southern Reach.”

“Oh?” Demazar asked, as if just noticing the rider.

“We found him, my Lord. His father hid him away at the Pigblister School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

Demazar couldn’t keep the eagerness out of his voice.

“And you’re sure he’s still there?”

“As soon as I found out, I immediately set out here to tell you. That was no more than three days ago.”

“And what makes you so sure that he’s the Chosen One?”

“We interrogated some of the faculty, my Lord. This boy... they call him Rejeck... he has frequently demonstrates powers above and beyond those of his schoolmates. The headmaster himself admitted to feeling the strong presence of faerie magic within the boy.”

“We must leave at once,” Demazar exclaimed. “It would be too much of a coincidence to be any other than the one we seek. Assemble my forces! We ride within the hour!”


*          *          *



Meanwhile, Rejeck was finally learning how to control his dragonette, Fireball, and was gradually able to keep pace with Timkin and Kale who led the way. Toward what, Rejeck wasn’t sure, but it definitely beat studying books and scrolls at that stupid school!

“So how does one get to the fey worlds or whatever they’re called?” Rejeck asked, pulling Fireball up beside his two faerie escorts.

“First, you have to find a nexus point,” Timkin replied. “A place in this mortal world where the fey magic is strongest. Usually, it’s a place of great importance to the natural world. Clearings in the center of the forest, caves on the tops of mountains... you know, that kind of thing.”

“Like the Falls at the End of the World?”

“Now you’re getting it!” Kale exclaimed. “And in fact, that’s exactly the one we’re headed for!”

“Wait, we’re going to approach the Falls at the End of the World?”

“I sure hope you’ve got the hang of that dragonette, lad,” Timkin called over. “Because this is going to be a trip you’re never going to forget!”

Rejeck followed his two faerie guides as they lowered their altitude and took to following the flow of the World’s River, winding this way and that with every curve of the shoreline. In the distance, the roar of the falls was getting louder.

“Are you sure about this?” Rejeck asked, panic starting to creep into his voice.

Everything Rejeck had been told about the World River and the falls at its terminus were not exactly encouraging. The river basically ended in a massive waterfall that tumbled out into nothingness. It fell into a caldera so large that the mouth on the oppsite side wasn’t visible on the horizon and the bottom was nothing but an inky blackness that swallowed everything. Torches, magic illumination globes, and once even an entire carriage set ablaze by a very determined noble on a dare, couldn’t piece the darkness. The lighted objects would fall and fall and fall until they disappeared into the all-consuming blackness.

“Get ready,” Timkin called over to him as the three mounts lowered themselves nearly to the water and increased their velocity.

They were close enough to the roiling waters that Rejeck could have reached out and skimmed his hand along the surface. But that would imply he were feeling brave enough to take his hands off the reins which he decidedly was not. He held on for dear life as the mounts increased their speed even more, hurtling toward the edge.

Rejeck heard girlish screams of terror and looked around before realizing they were his.

And then they were over the ledge. Fireball spread her wings and dove downward in a spiral, turning over and over as falling water pelted them. Rejeck started to feel lightheaded, like he was going to pass out.

Then, just as consciousness was about to fully slip away, there was a blinding flash of light.

(1017 words)

Tagged: sum1swriting
© Copyright 2017 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917048