*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917315-UNITY-and-HUMILITY
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2126870
...a place to journal personal progress through experience, strength and hope
#917315 added August 11, 2017 at 11:56am
Restrictions: None
UNITY and HUMILITY

UNITY and HUMILITY

Tradition 1: Our common welfare should come first, personal progress for the greatest number depends upon unity. (Read p. 133, Hope For Today.)

And in Al-Anon, I learn to practice these principles in all my affairs. [See Step 12.]

“Unity” is the “state of being united or joined as a whole” or maybe better said, “the state of forming a complete and pleasing whole.”

Synonyms: harmony, agreement, consensus, solidarity, cooperation
Antonyms/Opposites): strife, discord, division [Bing, internet search]

When I strive for my own will, my own agenda, unity goes out the window. For me, “unity” requires a level of humility.

“Humility” is “a modest or low view of one's own importance.” Humility is characteristic of having a lack of pride, a lack of vanity.

Synonyms: modesty, meekness [Bing, internet search]

Before I speak, using the Al-Anon slogans I may ask myself, How important is it? Or I catch myself mid-sentence with, Why am I talking?

In the interest of unity, how important is voicing my opinion… to the group, to the relationship, to the encounter/situation?

I have a voice, but I don’t always have to share… especially if it’s not integral or necessary to the subject, to resolution of a problem, etc. (Read p. 85, Hope For Today, Thought for Today, etc.)

There is a time to speak-up and a time to be silent; I am becoming more balanced.

In service, I learn the importance of listening to different voices ---- not only the majority, but also the minority.

After an angry conversation/confrontation, I now ask myself: What motivated me?

Al-Anon helps me dig deeper, to change my behaviors and attitudes… looking at the indexes of my literature and delving into “personal sharings,” I get a better perspective. (Read p. 31, Hope For Today, Thought for Today, etc.)

Lately, one of my big struggles is staying composed while navigating traffic.

© Copyright 2017 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917315-UNITY-and-HUMILITY