*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922922-Focus-on-Yourself
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2126870
...a place to journal personal progress through experience, strength and hope
#922922 added October 30, 2017 at 4:38pm
Restrictions: None
Focus on Yourself
In Al-Anon, we focus on ourselves, knowing we truly have no power over other people, places and things.

Traffic---the drive to and from work everyday---has been wearing. Finally, in the car last week I prayed, "God, help me slow my pace." Instantly, I felt a release.

- - - - -

Saturday, as I said my morning prayers, I asked God to be Lord over the Al-Anon meeting I was attending at 11:00 a.m. I arrived at the meeting, which had not yet started... and was surprised to discover I was scheduled to lead. Prior to arriving, my plan was to review the schedule and write down the dates I signed up to lead so as to be prepared. Since I was unaware it was my turn to lead, I was unprepared---or so I thought.

But God was with me as I opened the meeting. Then as the Traditions were read, I quickly scanned the index of One Day at a Time in Al-Anon. The meeting was to be on Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

When the time came, I read from a page in the literature and then shared briefly about how God answered my prayer earlier in the week when I asked Him to help slow my pace and how I felt a release; and since then, I am laying back---no longer joining the rat race.

I also shared that although in Al-Anon we learn to keep the focus on ourselves, sometimes we stray and believe we are frustrated by the actions of others. This week I am reminded that---with God's help---I can slow my pace, focusing on myself, and increasing peace of mind in the midst of heavy traffic.

Because of my conscious contact with God and submission to His will and leadership, it was a good meeting with insightful sharings.

© Copyright 2017 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922922-Focus-on-Yourself