*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917386-The-Epidemic
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2088946
A folder for my writing August 2017 & July 2016
#917386 added August 12, 2017 at 2:16pm
Restrictions: None
The Epidemic
Tagged by the Keeper of the Realm, I am starting a new story and tagging DMT - THANK YOU WRITE.COM of House Greyjoy.

1125 words
================

“Idiots, clumsy morons!” His nostrils flaring, Dr. Dalton Davis, The Chief of Staff, banged his fists on the desk in his office at Richmond Medical. How could they admit a patient with such a contagious disease into the crowded floor of the Emergency, without sending him into the triage area, first!

The guy, who had a foreign name, was found on the ground in the park near the playground, while still alive. He had died in the triage, the day before. What he croaked from was a mystery.

The paramedic who brought him had collapsed on the floor a few hours later. Now, he was the one in the triage! Plus, two patients and a practical nurse, showing the same symptoms were under observation, too.

Luckily, he had been quick. He had ordered the floor to be emptied and the patients at risk to be taken to separate rooms with contagion signs at their doors. Then he had alerted all the agencies one could think of, starting with the CDC.

The deaths were awful with blood coming out of every orifice, shaking as if with a seizure, plus asthmatic symptoms. Before dying, patients turned purplish blue, cyanosis circling their mouths.

All the doctors and nurses were hysterical. Some had left the premises despite the threats Dalton had thrown their way. Now a skeleton crew was taking care of the rest of the patients with the urgent voice periodically barking over the hospital’s sound system: ”Code blue, code blue, bed 17…”

He grimaced when his phone rang. He picked it up. “Dalton, don’t kill yourself looking for your cell. You left it on the counter here. And can you pick up a loaf of rye from the bakery, on your way home?”

“Nooo!” he barked at his wife. ”I may never be coming home.”

“Jeez, just because I said at breakfast…”

“It isn’t you! Why does it have to be you all the time!” He banged the phone down. Then, he picked the phone up and dialed.
“Look! I am sorry. We have an emergency at hand here. Keep the kids at home, and don’t get out of the house, any one of you. We may have an epidemic brewing.”

“Okay! Be safe,” said his wife, her voice shaking. “I love you! Take care!”

“Gotta go, Love. Other calls may be coming on the line.”


Nurse Melinda Vega’s stress soared as the minutes rolled by. Even the calmest doctors were freaking. For the amount of the emergency calls, they had difficulty choosing which patient to attend and how to protect themselves and the staff. Melinda was not just a nurse. She was a dedicated nurse, having lost most of her family to disease, she had made an oath to herself to never shy away from a patient.

She pushed aside the specialist, Nathalie Loomis, who was trying to intubate a patient but couldn’t because her hands were shaking so. Melinda intubated the woman by herself but was unable to get a cardiac response. Flat line! Someone rolled the defibrillator.

Tragedy! It wasn’t only the woman but FDIU, too. That poor fetus!

“Mel, you better let it be. There are others…” Melinda could hear the tension in her colleague’s voice.

“Got it!’ She calmly replied. ”Sterilize the room! Lock the door. Don’t let anyone come in!” Then she pushed her way through the personnel to one of the many calls on the system. “Nurse…quick! Bed 44, Nurse needed at room 32….”

Even the people who manned the floors’ desks were turning white with fear. As she passed by a desk, she yelled at the people. Wear masks. Keep using that sanitizer.”

Someone grabbed her arm. “Guess what?” The tension in Dr. Georgianne Kempton’s voice spoke volumes. “A taxi driver is just being admitted with the same symptoms. This is bigger than just what’s happening here.” And she rushed away toward the elevator.

Georgie and Mel had been good friends after they had worked on the same floor when Mel was just starting out. Each one admired the dedication of the other and found many things common between them.

How could something so unknown spread so quickly? Mel tried to reason inside her mind. Was this the result of food poisoning? But then, that practical nurse was meticulous about what she ate, the poor soul! Unlike Mel who carried a bag of gummy bears in her pocket. Did the disease just descend from the air? How could that be? What about the biological warfare that some crazy dictator had just exercised on his own people But hadn’t this one started with the guy brought into the emergency room? But that was only in Richmond Medical. What if other cases were showing up elsewhere?

It had to be terrorism, Mel concluded. Terrorism by who? She shook her head as if chasing away the thoughts. Georgianne was right, though. This was bigger than they could imagine.

She suddenly realized that the loud speaker was issuing another order with her name. “Melinda Vega…Melinda Vega…Report to Dr. Davis’s office, ASAP!”

What would the chief of staff, Dalton Davis, want from her? Mel always admired the man’s professionalism and sensed that the feeling was mutual, but she hadn’t worked with him at all. Well, maybe just once, just maybe, when she was starting out and couldn’t distinguish one doctor’s name from another. She pushed to elevator button to Dr. Davis’s floor.

At the Chief of Staff’s door, she paused a bit straightening her skirt and cap and lowered the mask covering her mouth and nose. Then she knocked on the door.

“Come in!”

“Melinda!” Dr. Davis stood up when he saw her. “You are the one person I can trust to do her work right. I think we have a serious situation, a viral outbreak maybe. Maybe something much bigger than that.”

Melinda looked up at him. Dalton Davis’s face was reflecting his concern. “I thought so, too,” she said. “What can I do?”

“I want you to stay in the triage area in the emergency and make sure that no more contagion happens to the other patients and the staff. In fact, I am giving you full responsibility for this. Do what is needed. Send the ones who seem to be recovering, to the intensive care special units--that is if any.”

She stared at him, her eyes wide. “All right! No problem. I’ll do it,” she said with a self-confident tone.

He cracked a half smile. “And Nurse, be careful yourself! You may go now.”

“Thank you, Dr. Davis!”

Mel felt him watch her leave, and a dark ominous feeling of dread
took over her.

As she closed the door behind him, she thought, Oh, God! What are we in for!”

=============

1125 words
© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917386-The-Epidemic