*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917487-undying-Wizard-of-Two-Realms-addition
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2088946
A folder for my writing August 2017 & July 2016
#917487 added August 14, 2017 at 2:04am
Restrictions: None
undying-Wizard of Two Realms addition
I was tagged by ԜԜ On The Road Again! of White Walkers, and I am tagging ℰ𝒯𝒞... of Greyjoy.

2640 words.

===================================================


Rejeck took another sip from the small bottle that Timkin had supplied him, that gross mixture of firebreathing piss, eyebright, castor bean oil, digitalis, coca leaf extract, and God knows what.

“Think conning magic!” Something instructed him in his mind, its voice sounding like Timkin’s.

“God of all stars and blackholes! You?”

“Hush,” said two voices in his head. “Don’t talk out loud. Just think it, not that it is safe either.”

"WHO GOES THERE?” The scout positioned at the square portal, only his face showing, called out again. “Clear who you are or be banned from this castle forever and ever!”

Rejeck opened his mouth to utter his name but what came out surprised and scared him at the same time. “ROWEDJOICK!” What? That wasn’t his name at all! “Incognito, know the word?” The thought came into his mind. This time, he didn’t know if it was the voice of the stone in his vestment’s pocket or that of Vinotaur Timkin.

“What seekest thou?” asked the scout, now coming into full view. Rejeck shuddered spotting the scout’s lower half chained to the large iron door, which was the second door behind the gate. The scout’s feet were tied to decaying acid batteries attached to the base of the door. The first gate seemed of sturdy flock of metal but this second door had to have seen better days.

“I am here at the service of my majesty, My King of all Realms,” said Rejeck.

“You mean our Dear King Demazar, right?”

“Take it as you might, be light or blight!” answered Rejeck, now Rowedjoick.

“All right, as you might, but just don’t piss him off or I’ll lose my bottom half with his one word.”

“What word that might be?”

“Sssh! We don’t utter that word neither do we ask for the sheer strength of it is greater than your task.”

Why is everyone shhhing and hushing me? thought Rejeck

“Ahha!‘Cause you’re a newbie,” came the thought inside his mind.

“My mind is turning into a toxic dump,” thought Rejeck!

“I heard that!” Timkin’s thought voice was cross.

“Tssk, Tssk!” echoed the stone into Rejeck’s mind.

If I am that powerful as you say and destined to save whatever, why the tssk tssk from you both? Rejeck thought projected.

“Logical moves, yet grandiose thought!” Kale’s voice piped in.

He’s here too?

“Since you lost your way after we left you, now you are in Demazar’s reign, instead of the Grand Wizard’s castle polishing your powers and training for greater things…The Grand Master sent us to you without form. If you face Demazar sometime soon, we’ll hide inside you. Our thoughts will be your thoughts,” Timkin explained with an exasperated tone in his voice.

It’s your fault for leaving me alone! thought Rejeck although this new information sounded as shapeless as the misshapen stone in his vestment’s pocket.Imagine having to host a Vinotaur and Garnet Griffin inside me! Nobody taught me about such stuff in the Pigblister School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Show-off!” snickered Kale. ”Just because he can pronounce the long words in the title of that school for idiots!”

“Hush now!” piped in again Timkin.


The inner door to the castle opened wide slowly, very slowly, with a groan, rasp, and a creak, and Rejeck who was now Rowedjoick entered.

A being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan appeared the beam of his flashlight illuminating, however poorly, the dark dingy corridor. “I’ll show you the way!” the being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan growled. Was he the butler?

Rejeck followed him, trying to keep pace with the beam of the flashlight as it bounced on and off the musty stone walls whose creaking and squeaking sounds Rejeck could hear inside his mind, now that the stone he had adopted outside and was carrying in his vest pocket was resending all the stone sounds to him.

Rejeck now Rowedjoick inched up slowly to the flashlight while he cautiously navigated the winding staircase, his movement still echoing off the stone walls as the being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan and Rejeck climbed into even mustier and more humid air that had been trapped inside the tower.

Arrgh! God Almighty! What’sa this! Something fast-moving hit Rejeck’s head and screeched.

“Bats! Who let the dogs out? Who let them bats loose?” growled the being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan, and he dashed ahead leaving Rejeck in the dark, the beam of light from his flashlight reflecting on and off the stonewalls. Rejeck stopped and watched him to open a rusty hatch cover and give off a shrill whistle sound, not from his mouth but from the horn at the top of his head.

Now, the horn talks!

He could barely get out of the way as a cauldron of bats zipped through the musty air over his head and into the opening through the hatch from which a bizarre tangle of frayed wires hung and zapped each bat until all bats were captured and locked inside the hatch.

“Well, that’s that!” growled the being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan.

He turned around and smiled at Rejeck, now Rowedjoick, with teeth crooked but sharp, and his tongue lolled around his mouth. Rejeck took a step back as a sense of foreboding disquiet tempered his curiosity.

“Our Dear Leader Demazar would probably accept you right away; however, he is hosting a group of emissaries who have been hunting Dear Leader’s archenemy, as he has been seen to be lurking around these environs.”

For a rhino-titan, this was a lot of words to utter.

“I can wait. Thank you!” answered Rejeck.

“Say, did you see someone of small stature, a kid actually right out of school, but it is said that he has hidden skills of warfare, and powers far beyond those or ordinary warriors.”

The rhino-titan stared at Rejeck carefully.
“Just what did you say your name was? I heard it when you told it to Scout, but this head…” He knocked on the side of his head “lacks memory space.”

“Rowedjoick!” croaked Rejeck

“You look strong, but do you really have the wherewithal to serve the master and thwart that accursed enemy? They say he’s a prince of the line of the ancient mage Torlock. You know the kind. All show and no glow, if you ask me.”

Timkin’s voice echoed inside Rejeck’s head. “Just gesture, don’t talk too much to him. He can decipher voice and sound and figure out who you are.”

So, Rejeck only nodded.

“Our leader and master Demazar

At the end of a dark hallway, Rhino-Titan opened a door, and he pointed toward inside.

“Tomorrow you can meet with Master Demazar. Be our guest for tonight, here, Rowred Joink!”

Timkin alerted Rejeck inside his mind,“Don’t correct him! Let him recall whatever he thinks your name is.”

Rejeck nodded and smiled at the Rhino-Titan and entered the room.

“Your presence, sir, should convince Master Demazar that his quest is not entirely without hope. He has no idea how to kill that enemy of a boy.”

After Rejeck went in the room, Rhino-Titan talked again, producing a set of keys.

“I have to lock you in, sir, and it pains me to make such a request, and it is not my intention to cause offense, but it is my master’s orders and I have to do it, as this castle has been plagued by spies and traitors.” He stopped, took a deep breath and stared at Rejeck, possibly waiting for an answer.

“Don’t say anything!” Timkin warned Rejeck again.

“Master Demazar has taught us that these precautions are necessary. You should have no fears, though. This castle is ringed through its vast expanse with protective spells. Sir, if I may take your leave, now…”

Rejeck nodded again in agreement.

“I will have some repast sent your way, and again no worries. Our feral dogs can destroy anyone who ventures into our forbidden territory.”

Timkin projected another thought into Rejeck’s mind. “He is talking to make you answer him. Just sit on the yonder seat and close your eyes. So he thinks you are resting.”

Rejeck did as he was told. Luckily Rhino-Titan seemed undisturbed, but he snapped his feet together and released his breath in one explosive burst.

In contrast, Rejeck tried to appear undisturbed, keeping his breathing even and unnoticeable. When Rhino-Titan bowed and closed the door behind him, a faint smile of amusement flickered around the corners of Rejeck’s mouth. The sound of the key turning at the lock on the door both pleased and disturbed him as there was something remotely uncomfortable in this situation.

“Well? How was I?” he asked, but it took Timkin a long while to hear him.

“Excellent!” Timkin said, finally.

“He looked like the cat ate his tongue!” snickered Kale.

“It is for the better that you stay here,” interjected the stone from his pocket. I hear that moon will shine full tonight as it is the eve of the Solstice.”

“Yes, that worried me, too,” Timkin sighed. “On such a night, Demazar’s power can increase enough to win over you. If that can’t be prevented, all the elfdoms and magical kingdoms may be conquered by Demazar.”

“Woe is me!” Kale snorted. “Instead of worrying, teach him. He may just be able to do it. What have you got to lose?”

“Teach who?” asked Rejeck.

Kale chortled. “You, silly! You’re the only one who can stop this. Only you have the power.”

“What can I do?”

“Stop the moon!” said Timkin. “But it is risky. We all might lose our measly lives in the process, and Kale, how can you ask Rejeck such a thing? We might lose only hope if something happens to him.”

“Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of, if I may,” said the shapeless stone from inside Rejeck’s vest.

“The thing is,” Timkin sounded indignant, ”Demazar has extremely strong powers. He will certainly find out where this new power is coming from. Such powerful magic that Rejeck will perform will leave its effects in the atmosphere.”

“So, you want him get even more power from the moon?” tittered Kale.

“No,” Timkin said dryly. “But he is such a novice.”

“We don’t have a choice, then,” reasoned Rejeck. “Let’s do it!” And he took out of his vestment’s pocket the small bottle that Timkin had supplied him, that gross mixture of firebreathing piss, eyebright, castor bean oil, digitalis, coca leaf extract, and God knows what.

“Put it back! That won’t do!” ordered Timkin.

“What other weapon do I have? Nothing!” Rejeck mumbled.

“Your mind! Your mind is stronger than anything once you learn how to use it.”

“Then teach me to use it,” Rejeck said to Timkin.

“All right!” Saying so, Timkin appeared in full view in his elf form. He stood opposite Rejeck, frowned and closed his eyes. Rejeck felt as if someone was making oatmeal mush of his brains and bit his lower lip as he watched Timkin.

“Here is a better way to conceal your thoughts from telepaths and empaths,” Timkin said. “Better than what they taught you in that prep school of yours.”

Rejeck got that or he thought he got that, but Timkin wanted him to do it again and again, until the practice became second nature to Rejeck.

“Now this is the way to block and divert a mental attack. Beware of the stabbing lances. They may even be more powerful than this. Kale help me here!”

Rejeck stepped forward with a feeling of certainty and tried very hard to block and divert both Kale and Timkin’s attacks. They repeated the exercises over and over again.

“Now, you are going to initiate contact with the mind of another being without them initiating the contact.” Kale and Timkin’s ears pointed upward like lances and they blocked Rejeck’s efforts to get through.

Rejeck realized how hard the elves were trying to make him as powerful as he could be. So he, too, closed his eyes tight and tried harder and harder, until he broke through. The second time was easier because Redeck had discovered how to smooth out his thoughts and keep his breathing regular, Then, they repeated the exercise over and over again.

“This was the most important part,” Timkin said. “Because in a few hours, you are going to control the thoughts of the moon and stop it from becoming full. Can you make such a sacrifice, Rejeck? If you can’t…”

“Now, we have to hide,” said Kale in a sudden panic. “I sense someone approaching the door.”

“Hide inside me, again! Quick!” Rejeck ordered them.

By the time the door began creaking open, Rejeck had returned to his seat feeling all the power that had begun to surge through his veins, but for the sake of appearances he calmed his senses and closed his eyes, faking sleep.

The howl that came from the door made him open his eyes. A wolf had taken up position at the door, directing the traffic of slave elves and monkeys getting the table ready for Rejeck’s dinner. At times, monkeys and elves got into each other’s way and threatened the oversteppers with swift and terrible violence. Although, outwardly, they looked calm and quiet. Rejeck realized he was reading their minds and rejoiced inwardly.

“Let’s not get cocky!” Kale’s voice rang inside his brain.

“Don’t eat that dinner!” his shapeless stone warned him. “It has sleep potions in it, to make the entire castle fall asleep before the moon rises. So Demazar can grab the power of the moon all to himself. My stone friends told me.”

But I am hungry!

“Use your mind to quiet your hunger!” Timkin projected his thoughts inside Rejeck’s mind. This time Rejeck’s mind grasped all three thoughts before their original owners could think them. Amazing! Awesome! So far he had come in a few hours of training! Now he could stop the moon from turning full. He was sure of that.

Not that he had anything against the moon per se, but stopping Demazar from fortifying his powers was implicit and urgent.

The wolf at the door came sniffing around inside the room where the table was set. Then it turned and stared at Rejeck as if it was thinking of sinking its fangs into his throat.

Rejeck tipped his head with a gesture that could be taken both as a greeting and a dismissal.

The wolf didn’t take the hint, at first, but Rejeck pushed hard against the wolf’s mind.

“Not that hard! Wolves attack. They can’t be pushed,” said Timkin’s voice inside his mind.

Rejeck eased off, however feeling like he was challenged to conquer.

The wolf growled. The last server, a monkey let out a theatrical sigh smacking his lips at the food, and walked out of the room. The wolf looked half-frozen under the calm stare of Rejeck. Then he turned around and left the room.

During the next minute, the being with the head of a rhinoceros and the body of a titan appeared again and with a curt nod at Rejeck, he closed the door and turned the key in the lock.

Rejeck stood up and went to the table, to see what was spread for him.

“Don’t eat that food!” His stone warned.

“He can stop the moon but not his appetite!” snickered Kale.

“You are wrong!” said Rejeck. “I can do both. Watch me! Just watch me stop that moon from going full. Watch me annihilate Demazar!”

“The kid’s lost it! Drunk with power!” chuckled Kale. “But I love it. And I'll love watching him win!”



© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917487-undying-Wizard-of-Two-Realms-addition