*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/918316-House-of-the-Undying-The-Epidemic
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2129941
A repository of all my writings for WDC's Game of Thrones.
#918316 added August 23, 2017 at 11:08pm
Restrictions: None
House of the Undying: The Epidemic

Previous Entries

Jimmy the orderly led Melinda out to the reception area where the detective was waiting.

“Hello,” Melinda said, offering her hand. “Melinda Vega. I’m one of the nurses on duty tonight.”

“Detective Inspector Wallis,” the officer replied. “Have you been here all night?”

“My shift started at six. Been here ever since.”

“Anything unusual happen tonight?”

“You mean other than an unknown pathogen spreading rapidly through the population and someone deciding that tonight is a good night to poison people? Nah, it’s just the same ‘ol, same ‘ol around here.”

“So you’ve discovered the snake venom?”

“It’s clever,” Melinda said, “Using the epidemic as a cover to poison someone. But there doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason to who’s been poisoned. And, more importantly, someone willing to cause an entire epidemic to cover their tracks clearly as a lot to lose.”

“Our thoughts exactly,” Wallis replied. “And that’s why I’m here. Can you take me to the poisoning victims?”

“Of course,” Melinda replied. “They’re down in the morgue.”

She led the detective to the morgue in the sub-basement of the hospital, where the bodies of the poisoning victims were laid out on a row of stainless steel tables. Melinda watched Wallis inspect the bodies, then grab their charts. He looked to Melinda.

“Go ahead,” she said. “At this point, the need for information supersedes doctor-patient confidentiality... plus, you know, they’re dead and probably won’t mind.”

Detective Wallis poured over the documents, comparing information and data from one file to the next. After several moments, he looked at Melinda with surprise.

“What is it?” Melinda asked.

“All of the victims,” Wallis said, excitement in his voice. “They do have something in common. They all live on the same street in the same residential development. What are the chances of that?”

(301 words)
© Copyright 2017 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/918316-House-of-the-Undying-The-Epidemic