*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926101-2018-Begins
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#926101 added January 1, 2018 at 3:29pm
Restrictions: None
2018 Begins
Kamál (Perfection), 3 Sharaf (Honor) 147 B.E. - Monday, January 1, 2018

A new Gregorian year has begun, and I have an urge to play a game of solitaire. This is an urge I cannot give into today, because it will interfere with the today's writing and article reading. I did a good job of ignoring the urge yesterday, and, in addition, I was able to ignore the urge to fantasize. I'm having difficulty with with today as well. I know I shouldn't attempt to break two bad habits at the same time. The thing is, the more I focus on writing the less I am tempted to play solitaire or fantasize.


Today, I read " 9 Spiritual New Year’s Resolutions"1 by David Langness, which discussed the tradition of making New Year's resolutions. I learned that this tradition goes back to the Babylonians, and that it is practiced by every religion on the planet. As I read the article, I contemplated "18 for 2018 and Hope for the New Year, which contains my goals for the New Year. I looked at the goals, and realized that I have only one spiritual goal for the year. That goal is to say 'Abdu'l-Baha's prayer for America everyday. The goals David Langness listed are all spiritual. I think I need to refocus on spiritual goals, which is something I will have to consider as I reevaluate my resolutions. The spiritual goal I will focus on in the next two or three months my daily accounting.

"Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds."
Baha’u’llah2

Footnotes
1  http://bahaiteachings.org/9-spiritual-new-years-resolutions
2  The Hidden Words, p. 11, quoted in "9 Spiritual New Year’s Resolutions" http://bahaiteachings.org/9-spiritual-new-years-resolutions.


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926101-2018-Begins