*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929421-Where-Theres-Smoke
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2147746
Gettin' to know me.
#929421 added February 25, 2018 at 12:26am
Restrictions: None
Where There's Smoke...
fire poem elements


Our home stays warm with a good 'ol fashioned fireplace. I love watching the flames flicker and dance behind the glass.
My redheaded minions kids and I "ooh" and "ahh" as the blaze changes from orange to blue or green and back to yellow. Fire is beautiful.

It's also hard to get started!

Every evening we pile on what we pray is enough logs to keep the fire alive until morning. And every morning I find myself desperately searching for an ember or two to get the fire going again, while the children huddle under blankets and wait for me to become successful in my mission.

After ten to thirty minutes of babying that greedy maw with kindling, loose papers, and logs, I can usually get the thing roaring again.

Not yesterday.

Or today.

(Thankfully the last two days haven't been too cold!)

This evening, with help from my hero husband, Mathman, we finally got a fire started...and kept it going!

And as I stared into the hungry flames I wondered...why is it when you want to get a fire going, the flames ignore the chunks of wood and die out; but when you don't want a fire, the flames eagerly grab hold of the nearest flammable object and burn your house down?

Elements! They're so fickle!




© Copyright 2018 Genipher (UN: geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Genipher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929421-Where-Theres-Smoke