*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930579-Benefit-of-the-Doubt
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#930579 added March 13, 2018 at 1:47pm
Restrictions: None
Benefit of the Doubt
Tuesday, March 13, 2018
The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for DAY 1547
Abraham Lincoln said, “I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.”
What do you think are the pros and cons of trying to get to know someone better of whom we have a negative first impression?

Benefit of the Doubt

I think, what Mr. Lincoln is suggesting, that we don't judge others by the first impression. First impressions can be deceiving because we usually judge other people by some artificial criteria we've constructed in our own minds. We tend to judge people by color, religion, gender, party affiliation, national origin, gender identification, sexual orientation, etc. In many cases, we have constructed in our own minds about the way people in these pigeonholes are like and how they act. The problems is that our constructions or stereotypes are false most of the time. The first time we meet someone, we need to put aside our preconceived ideas. We need to spend enough time with the person to see what they are really like.

© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930579-Benefit-of-the-Doubt