*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933159-Taking-Chances
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2076320
A third blog? A good idea? A fresh start? A disaster? An omen? ...who knows anything?
#933159 added April 20, 2018 at 5:49pm
Restrictions: None
Taking Chances

Life continues to be hectic and bizarre with the family situation still unresolved. I just have to keep faith there will be a satisfactory conclusion at some stage, but in the meantime all I can do is help and support my son and the children. At least we've had a few days of dry, decent weather, although I have a cold which isn't ideal in sunny climes. But you know I'm not one to complain. *Wink*

But, amongst all the worry, chaos and humdrum I have done something I never thought I'd do and feel quite proud.

The internet receives so much bad press and the media are always too willing to report the downsides. My experiences wouldn't make headline news, but I am truly grateful for all the success, pleasure and particularly the people the internet has brought into my life. I have made countless friends on WDC and other sites and also from playing online Scrabble many years ago. All of these people have contributed a great deal to my life and also been a great help during some very tough times over the years. I am also proud of how many of these people I have met in person and never once been disappointed by them, just the opposite in fact. It staggers me how this has come about, particularly as these wonderful friends are scattered all over the world. My life has been enhanced by people from America, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and of course my own little island.

One of my most competitive and regular Scrabble partners was Mexican, which is rare in an English based game and even though the days of Scrabble are over, we have always kept in touch on and off. After seventeen years I never imagined we would ever meet. However, it turned out he had a business trip planned in London this last week and the opportunity seemed too good to miss. So, on Wednesday which happened to be the first real spring day of the year, I travelled to London on the train with a heavy dose of nerves and wondering if I'd made a bad decision.

It could not have been a better day. I felt like I had known him all my life and the nerves soon dissipated with flowing conversation and much laughter. In general I find the person who types behind the screen is rarely very different in reality. We had coffee, then an excellent lunch and I felt very proud of taking him to Harrods on the underground with no hitches. It was the boost I needed after such a long winter and so much trauma at home.

Taking a risk doesn't always pay off, but I am so glad I decided to do that. It's late in life for me, but I think I will add 'Feel the fear and do it anyway,' to my mantra of words to live by. My favourite is still "One day at a time sweet Jesus,' but I'll admit that was one day I will never forget and just hope there will be others equally as delightful.




© Copyright 2018 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933159-Taking-Chances