*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934170-As-Flower-sheds-its-Fragrance
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#934170 added May 8, 2018 at 1:03pm
Restrictions: None
As Flower sheds its Fragrance
A young boy asked, “If one speaks the truth one cannot get on in the world; if one tells lies one cannot find God. So what is one to do?”
“Always try to speak the truth and see what happens,” replied Mataji. “Will you listen to a story?”
“A notorious thief sought the company of a sadhu. At first the holy man took no notice of him, but when the thief came day after day, begging to be given instruction, the sadhu finally responded. ‘First of all,’ he said, ‘you must give up stealing and telling lies. When you have succeeded in this for some days, you may come again.’ The thief fell at his feet and went home. After several days he returned, looking thin and miserable. ‘Well,’ asked the sadhu, ‘how have you been faring?’ ‘Maharaj’ said the thief, ‘I have faithfully obeyed your orders, but I can’t go on like this much longer. My whole family is starving. I am well known as a thief and no one will give me work. If I don’t steal, how are we to keep alive?’ ‘Very well,’ said the sadhu, ‘you may steal again, but under no circumstances tell any lies, keep strictly to the truth!’ The face of the thief lit up. He promised to abide by his Guru’s instructions. ‘After so long without food,’ he thought, ‘we need to break into the treasury at the royal palace.’
“As fate would have it the King could not sleep that night. Hearing a strange noise, he put on the old clothes of a servant and went downstairs. When he found that a burglar was busy removing valuables, he pretended to be a thief himself and said, ‘Look here, brother, I am of your trade, only I am a beginner. Couldn’t I help you and in return you might let me have a small share of the booty?’ ‘Not a bad idea,’ agreed the old thief, ‘breaking these heavy locks has been a tough job and it will soon be dawn. If you see whether the night-watch is coming this side, give me a sign in good time; I will let you have one-fourth of what I get.’ ‘That’s settled,’ assented the King, ‘but let me have your name and address.’ Mindful of his Guru’s bidding, the thief gave the correct information. With the help of the disguised King he succeeded in safely removing his loot, leaving one-fourth for his accomplice.
“In the morning there was great commotion in the palace. The theft was reported to the King. Investigations were carried on, but no trace could be found of the culprit. The King did not disclose his secret, but when the case was to be discussed in his darbar, he sent for the thief. ‘Do you know anything about the theft?’ the King asked straight out. ‘I do,’ replied the thief. ‘Let us have all the details,’ he commanded. The thief related with great precision what had happened. The King could hardly believe his ears. ‘How can one who is so completely truthful become guilty of stealing?’ he exclaimed. The thief explained that he was acting in obedience to his Guru’s order and that it was only to save himself and his family from dire poverty that he was obliged to continue to steal. ‘How much a month do you require for the upkeep of your family?’ asked the King. The man stated a modest sum. ‘You won’t have to steal any longer,’ said the King, ‘I shall provide for all of you for the rest of your lives.’
“You see,” commented Mataji, “by being strictly truthful the thief was enabled to lead an honest life. It is very important to speak the truth. God is Truth. By being truthful one draws nearer to Him. The other lesson this story illustrates is that carrying out the Guru’s orders to the letter without using one’s own judgment not only leads to the highest good, but also brings about the solution of one’s daily problems.”


© Copyright 2018 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/934170-As-Flower-sheds-its-Fragrance