*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935412-Singing-Naturally
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#935412 added May 28, 2018 at 4:16pm
Restrictions: None
Singing Naturally
         So many people say they can't carry a tune in a bucket. I've heard some people sing who sound, well, maybe they need a bucket. I always think they didn't hear enough singing when they were babies. I don't mean a radio or TV blasting away. I'm referring to a real live singing or humming person, a nanny, a parent, a babysitter, a sibling, someone to hold the baby and sing softly up close.

         Children who have either parent sing to them as infants and toddlers will sing easily in tune. They can't sing what they can't hear first. But it can be remedied, one child at a time. If a teacher, at church or school has a group that sings well, but one kid is always off key, there is hope. If you play the piano, have the child stand in front of it, facing the keys but hands at his sides. You stand behind him and play the melody only, while singing the words behind his ear. He will zoom in on the sound and will feel the vibrations as well. Eventually, he will start to sing the same notes he hears. Most children will pick this up quickly. It may take more than one attempt to lock in his ability, but it should work.


         With older children, teens, and adults, it's a little more difficult. There's the personal body space dilemma, You probably want to have that individual seated and still stand behind and lean over to sing behind his or her head. Let someone else play the piano or keyboard or do it without music. It may take a little longer, but it should still work to help that person "hear" the notes and then aim for them with his own voice.


         That doesn't mean that the person suddenly will be a great singer. (Who knows? Maybe.) But life could be a little more fun, if he can sing along without embarrassing himself or offending anyone. The best way is to sing around children. Engage them in singing. If they don't sing when they grow up, that's their option. But at least they'll have a chance if they are exposed to singing or humming when they are babies.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935412-Singing-Naturally