*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935602-Cyber-Invasion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#935602 added June 1, 2018 at 1:49am
Restrictions: None
Cyber Invasion
         Dishonesty and fraud are everywhere. As much as we love our computers, it's easy to hate them because they allow sneaky thieves, vandals, and scoundrels to invade our privacy and annoy the bologna out of us.

         Tuesday I was blocked with what appeared to be a Microsoft Edge message with a vocal warning in a British accent. It warns that if you close the screen or take the page down, it will wipe out your computer, and make a complaint about your IPL. It starts off telling you that you are being attacked by a pornographic site, but goes on to say that all your financial information is being stolen. I found it was impossible to close the program or take it down. It would not shut up. I had to turn the power off and disconnect the Ethernet. I waited an hour, and rebooted only to find it was still there. My friend told me it would go away with no power. I waited a few more hours, and it did go away.


         Two days later, it did it again. This time I had already used my phone to research it, and found that it is a scam to sell you a fake protection program. The 800 number is not a really a Microsoft trouble shooting number. It also told me how to correct it when the program can't be closed. You have to click on the task bar, right click "task manager", find your browser listed, then "end task". It won't stop it from happening again, but it turns that awful voice off and takes down the Microsoft pop-ups.

         Thankfully, my instinct was not to call that number. It just didn't seem real, like those phony phone calls from Windows. How do they even know I have a computer, or that it's hooked up? I just hang up on those crooks. Never ever give your email address or serial number to one of those guys, and don't give any credit card numbers.

         Too bad there are so many people willing to make a dishonest living. Makes you wonder about the fate of mankind, when so many are willing to exploit others for their own gain.


© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935602-Cyber-Invasion