*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935673-If-Only-Good-Things-Grew-Like-Weeds
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#935673 added June 4, 2018 at 2:10am
Restrictions: None
If Only Good Things Grew Like Weeds
         I spent half an hour pulling weeds from one flower bed. I had to do some minimal trimming of shrubs to get to the weeds at the base. I didn't get 100% of them. The tiny ones are still there. But I have a big mess still to rake up. I was dripping sweat--it's an overcast day--and had a few bug bites. I was dripping blood on one arm. Old skin breaks easily on shrubs. My back and knees were aching. This old person had to go in and cool off with a glass of water.


         I felt all trembly as though I'd been to the gym, but didn't have that good feeling after a work out. The muscles hadn't been exerted properly. And gardening, unless you're hoeing or shoveling, burns very few calories. It's not aerobic. It just keeps your body in uncomfortable positions for extended periods of time. It really doesn't take the place of a nice walk or a work-out. Nor does housekeeping. But both housework and yard work need to be done. Dust and clutter accumulate inside, and weeds take over outside. It will all have to be done again before you recover.


         If only flowers were as hardy as weeds. It's a good thing trees don't grow like weeds or they'd be falling over all the time in the slightest of breezes. Some weeds put roots out further than trees and are just as hard to remove. Weeds seem to be impervious to drought, bugs, and disease. We specialize in growing weeds at my house. They even end up in the flower pots with the expensive store bought potting soil one flight up from the yard. It's a daily job.

         As I guess I should have a positive attitude. I'm alive one more day; so let's pull some weeds.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935673-If-Only-Good-Things-Grew-Like-Weeds