*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935859-Leaving-and-Returning
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#935859 added June 5, 2018 at 7:40pm
Restrictions: None
Leaving and Returning
Prompt: Which is better, never leaving or coming back to where you started? This may mean anything and it is up to your interpretation, could be a place, a goal, a person you love, a vocation, or a hobby.

======

When starting out, right after college, I didn’t want to leave, but it so happened that I had to. I have this thing about me; I settle easily. I settle into any situation and I am happy. I don’t want to be disturbed further. Although I am not too sure about it, I think this may be a negative trait.

Still, I left for good when I was quite young. A situation made me leave, and since I felt I had to leave to avoid some ugliness, I did. Then, the experiences granted to me by fate or karma, whichever way you look at it, were priceless. Looking back now, I am glad I did leave.

As to coming back where I started, that place or situation is not the same as when I lived in it. When I visit it, I find it changed to the degree of becoming an alien situation or place for me. Returning means re-tuning, which may prove to be quite impossible. This might happen with professions, people, or old loves…depending.

Then, if it is a hobby or an avocation, if you had to drop it, you must pick it up again early enough, for the desire or the talent or know-how may leave you for good. One of my cousins, who was a very talented painter and who won the first place in several art shows, left her art totally to devote herself to married life, raising kids, working at odd jobs to make ends meet, etc. Then in old age, she wanted to paint again. She can still paint quite well, but she has no drive and no enthusiasm left for she painted three or four paintings and let it go again. She says it is not the same thing for her anymore.

I think the ideal would be leaving because you want to and you feel you are open to new experiences but coming back soon enough, without waiting for several decades. That way, what didn’t work earlier and what needed improvement could be taken care of without the alienation problem.



© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935859-Leaving-and-Returning