*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936298
Rated: E · Book · Religious · #2158852
This is a book of (hopefully) daily devotionals that I would like to eventually publish.
#936298 added November 8, 2019 at 9:49am
Restrictions: None
Where Your Focus Is - Philippians 3:12-21
Do you remember learning to ride a bicycle? I do. My brother and one of the other kids from our neighborhood helped me ride without training wheels for the first time in our cul-de-sac. They held onto the back of the bike by the seat and ran along with me as I peddled. You can guess where this is heading. Without saying anything, they let go and I rode with the ease and confidence I had while they were holding on. However, once I looked back and saw them standing by the driveway while I was a few houses away, the steadiness faded and the front tire began to wobble as I suddenly couldn't hold the handlebars straight anymore. And then, I crashed.

My focus at the start of the ride was on keeping the bike going where I wanted it to go and I could keep my focus on that because I knew that I was being supported by my brother and friend. However, the minute that I lost that support, I thought to myself that I could no longer steer the bike as I had been doing before and I crashed into the curb that I focused my mind on avoiding. Rather than avoiding it, I steered directly into it, because my focus and confidence had shifted.

I think of the episode of Frasier when we discover that Frasier never learned how to ride a bike. He attempts to learn with his brother Niles, who also did not know how to ride, and Daphne teaching them. Of course, they fail miserably because they focus too much on what they want to avoid and end up crashing right into the very thing they wanted to steer clear of.

It is very easy in this world for us to focus on the wrong thing and find ourselves exactly where we didn't want to be. This happens all the time, truthfully, and sometimes the consequences are dire. In Philippians 3, we see that we are to remain focused on Christ and make Him our goal and purpose. When our eyes are on Him, they are not on the storm-tossed seas or the armies surrounding the cities. When we keep our focus on Him, it is far easier to avoid the potholes and pitfalls and steer straight toward the finish line.

Think back to learning how to ride a bike and remember that Jesus is always supporting you and always beside you. You may still crash at times, but keep your focus on Christ and finishing the race strong. There is no greater reward than Christ. He is amazingly wonderful and our eyes should remain on Him.

One of my favorite songs is Walk on Water by Audio Adrenaline. You can read the full lyrics below, but I want to focus on this one portion: If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water, oh yeah ... If I keep my eyes on Him I can walk on water.

Peter did something awesome when he focused on Christ and stepped out of that boat onto the stormy sea. He walked on water with his Savior! When Peter's focus changed to the storm, however, he sank. Of course, he still knew where his salvation lay and he called out to Christ. Peter didn't think that the cause of his sinking was that Christ had somehow tricked him or failed him. He knew he could still count on Jesus to save him and Jesus quickly did.

Fix your eyes on Christ and when He calls you to step out of the boat, do it. Walk on the water. You won't ever regret focusing on Jesus.

You can read all of Philippians 3:12-21, The Message Translation, here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=philippians+3%3A12-21&version=MSG



Walk On Water by Audio Adrenaline
Simon Peter, won't you put those nets down?
Follow me I'll lead you out of this town
To a place where no boat has ever been
I will make you a fisher of men

Jesus walked out on the water
Said, "Take courage, it is me"
Peter trusted and he wanted to go farther
So he stepped out on the sea
Yeah, he stepped out on to the sea

If I keep my eyes on Jesus
I can walk on water, oh yeah
If I keep my eyes on Him
I can walk on water

If I keep my eyes on Jesus
I can walk on water, yeah
If I keep my eyes on Him

Just like Peter I want to go farther
Tread on the sea and walk on the water
Step where He steps and go where He goes
Side by side when the sea billows roll

I'll be alright when the wind comes
I'll be alright when the waves come crashing
I'm not afraid, no no
For this is my Father's world

If I keep my eyes on Jesus
I can walk on water
If I keep my eyes on Jesus
I can walk on water

If I keep my eyes on Jesus
I can walk on water, yeah yeah
If I keep my eyes on Him
I can walk on water

Walk on water
Walk on water, yeah yeah
Walk on water, I can walk on water
Walk on water, keep my eyes on Jesus
Walk on water, If I keep my eyes on Him
Walk on water, I'll be alright
© Copyright 2019 DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ (UN: mystdancer50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936298