*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937627-Trying-Not-to-Sweat-these-past-couple-of-days
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#937627 added July 8, 2018 at 7:31pm
Restrictions: None
Trying Not to Sweat these past couple of days...
Well, I missed you for a couple of days. Not like I've been up to much. It's been really HOT *Fire* *Fire* *Fire* here in So Cal. Friday was the worst. The temps got up to 118 degrees. Saturday was 115 degrees. The heat here is mostly a dry heat, very little to no humidity. I suppose if it's going to be HOT then it's best to have a dry heat. LA DWP blew up and over 38,000 ppl lost power. That had to suck for them. I'm very grateful that my AC did not go out. *Smile*

So on Friday, to beat the heat the family and I went to see Ant-Man and the Wasp. Great movie! Perfect blend of characterization and plot. The comedy was really good. I would go see it again. The previews were interesting. Most were "rentals." After that, we went to Buca diBepo for dinner. I tried a chicken dishes and enjoyed the calamari.

Saturday to beat the heat I went to San Pedro, CA to check out Old Ft. MacArthur Days. The old Fort opens its doors and museum with historical displays and docents. There's a Roman camp, a Viking camp, Civil War camps, World War displays and Lincoln, Roosevelt, Chamberlin, and Stalin docents. You can visit the museum, and see reenactments. It's a cool way to learn about history without reading a book. They had a lot of equipment there to include WWII jeeps and a Sherman tank along with Civil War cannons.

Civil War Reenactment


The temps at San Pedro were in the 90's but it was closer to the ocean and so the humidity was up. When there's humidity, there's sweat. Yuck. I had to drink a lot of water and rest in the shade a bit more than I would like, but it kept me running.

The Fort was named after Douglas MacArthur's father, Arthur MacArthur, who was a Civil War soldier (and a Congressional Medal of Honor Awardee) and he had been assigned in the Philippines as the Military Governor-General. In 1910's the government decided to "build up" the LA port for trade and determined it needed to be protected so they built a fort. BIG ASS artillery guns were constructed from 1915-1923. (They had a range that could reach Catalina Island.) It was a major fort during WWII. In the Cold War, it housed Nike missiles. The fort was decommissioned in the 1970's.

Today, I worked on my Romance/Love NL. I try to find different topics that interest me, so I have two very different topics that interested me that I discussed. Summer romance settings and themes in writing romance series. Next month, I think I'll focus on writing young adult romance.

I reached out to Prairie Rose Press for one of my sweet romance novellas. I'll let you all know when I hear something back.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Camp Josepho. It's a Boy Scout camp that offers the moviemaking, theatre, and communications merit badges that my younger son was interested in doing. Should be fun.

See you guys in a week!

© Copyright 2018 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937627-Trying-Not-to-Sweat-these-past-couple-of-days