*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938176-Talk-Tuesday-About-Myself
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#938176 added July 17, 2018 at 3:17pm
Restrictions: None
Talk Tuesday: About Myself
Fiḍál (Grace), 5 Kalimát (Words) 175 B.E. - Tuesday, July 17, 2018

"Negative thinking patterns can be immensely deceptive and persuasive, and change is rarely easy. But with patience and persistence, I believe that nearly all individuals suffering from depression can improve and experience a sense of joy and self-esteem once again."
David D. Burns

With each breath
exhale depression
inhale joy.

The Talk Tuesday prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS
Speaking of ourselves has been shown, repeatedly, to make us feel good. This is your chance to talk up your accomplishments in life. Feel free to ,unashamedly, boast about your own sporting successes. (And remember, sometimes, a little victory can feel massive especially when you aren't the sporting type)

It's interesting how times have changed, when I was growing up I was taught that people should not speak about their accomplishments because it was considered bragging. For several years I didn't feel comfortable about discussing my accomplishments, or even placing them on a résumé. Eventually, I got over (or worked through) the idea that talking about my successes, talents, and accomplishment wasn't bragging (unless I overstated or enhanced them to make myself look better). Dealing with this idea helped me to learn more about myself and my talents.

What are some of my successes? I would like to say working through all the superstitions I was taught--either by society, friends, or family--as a child. However, at 71, I am still working through some of those superstitions and down right lies that those of us growing up in America were taught either directly or indirectly by the actions of authority figures in our lives. Another issue I'm working through is depression, which has struck again in the last week or so. It isn't as bad as it used to because I can work myself out of in by taking some type of action or a combination of actions.

My successes are writing poetry and memorizing sacred scriptures or prayers. The memorization and the writing helps dispel the depression, while refocusing my mind and meditation on spiritual subjects. Since the worst depression hits in the morning, it probably has to do with a slight change in my morning routine or something I'm eating. I'm going with the slight change in my morning routine for now, because I have two more muffins in the refrigerator to go with my morning coffee. I don't want to admit that the depression could be caused by something I'm eating.

© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938176-Talk-Tuesday-About-Myself