*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938691-Meditation-And-Dieting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#938691 added July 27, 2018 at 8:33pm
Restrictions: None
Meditation And Dieting
         This isn't what you're expecting. I am not telling anyone how to meditate or how to lose weight. The latter I don't believe anyone can teach on a universal level. What works for one person will be temporary for someone else or fail miserably for another. What these have in common is that they are excellent venues for an entrepreneur to make a living. And sometimes, the two subjects are mixed.

         There is a big market for these. People want to lose weight desperately and spend millions each year. Obviously, it takes more than willpower. If any one method worked, all the others would be abandoned. They all carry a promise and offer hope. As for meditation, people feel stressed. They probably always have. Worrying about what others think, about providing for the family, about the government, or the oppressors, or a straying spouse. Cavemen worried about wildlife and food. Every country on earth has probably endured slavery at some point (some still do), so people feared a cruel master or being parted from family. Stress is part of the human condition. In the modern world, our stress doesn't usually involve war zones, the pox or the plague.

         And there are all those gurus out there like Oprah telling us we need to meditate. It will make us sleep better and be healthier. We can be more productive and happier if we reduce our stress. So they tell us. (Seems to me like some people seek out stress, but they aren't complaining of sleep deprivation and appear to be healthy.) I'm not trying to refute the need for reducing stress, or meditating or losing weight. I am pointing out that a lot of people are making a very good living selling you their guidance. If they really have the answer to your problems, why is that answer so expensive. After the first 50 people, don't you think they can just charge a one time fee of $5 for website maintenance and just give it to you?

         They're not altruistic. They have found a simple way to part desperate people from their money. I have finally had enough.I will not buy another diet or exercise book (I allowed myself one a year.). I will not pay $5 a month for a newsletter that repeats the same old information you've read 100 times. There are plenty of free sources that will tell you how to compute your BMI, and so forth. As for meditation western style, once you've sat through one or two sessions you have what you need to keep up a simple routine. If you want an Eastern instructor, and learn mantras and "stuff", go to a class. At least there you will be paying for the physical presence and time of your leader. The Internet route is a simple rip-off.

         Many people are stressed out, can't sleep well, want to be healthier, and desperately want to lose 15 pounds or more but have trouble doing it. There are many other people willing to take advantage of those people. They don't have all the answers; they might have some possibilities, but no cures. The meditation merchandising is sort of like designer handbags. There are cheaper functional versions available. But they don't affect disease or ongoing health issues. There are too many overweight people who are suffering physically and emotionally. The truth is even scientists don't know why it's such an epidemic. The psychologists, nutritionists, trainers, and doctors who genuinely care don't have any idea how to fix it. They can try, but it's sort of like your mother-in-law or neighbor trying. There is no expertise for all kinds of patients or most kinds.

         My advice: save your money. Experiment with diets, or new thinking; see if anything works for you, even short term. Exercise is a way of building muscle or maintaining your balance and strength; it's not a weight loss tool. You have to find your own personal journey. No one who charges you $69 or more for a 6 week program is going to lay out the perfect plan for you.

         As for meditation, it's about deep breathing and no interruptions. You can't draw a blank mind. Just tell yourself that it's okay when stray thoughts come along and brush them away. Save them for later. If you can't sit still, meditate while you are running or walking the dog in a secluded path. Aim for ten minutes. You can have it follow prayer or precede it. If you fall asleep meditating, that's okay. Just pushing away all the stressful thoughts for ten minutes a day, you will start to feel more serene within a few days. You can find lots of simple thoughts to keep your mind busy; just pick one per day (like I'm okay just the way I am). Or steal a line from The Karate Kid: the sky is blue, the grass is green. It may sound weird, but it will calm you. Free.




© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938691-Meditation-And-Dieting