*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938826-The-Cocoanuts
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#938826 added July 30, 2018 at 5:55pm
Restrictions: None
The Cocoanuts
         Last week I saw a musical, The Cocoanuts, music and lyrics by Irving Berlin. It featured the Marx brothers, and these were some excellent imitators. The lead actor, Frank Ferrante has done Groucho plays and one man shows from California to Broadway. He has the voice for it, and is quick-witted, ad libs, and interacts with the audience. The one who played Zeppo sang okay, but like the "normal" Marx brother, he was the least interesting of that group. The others had the mannerisms down so well that the audience just stayed in hysterics.

         A local man played the lead female. He's very tall, sings very high, and is very funny. I saw him in a four county theater as the prison warden in Chicago. (Queen Latifah did it in the movie.)He was great in that role, too. He" ad libbed" almost as much as the Marx boys. It was very funny and a great night out. The music wasn't the best I've ever heard. The dancing was barely worth watching, but not horrible. The comedy was superb.

         If Ferrante comes to your town to do local theater, try to catch a show, especially if he's doing Groucho. Pretty girls have a very good chance he'll come into the audience to visit during the show. Anyone sitting up close, at any age, may somehow be involved. Be prepared to be the butt of some jokes. Lots of fun.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938826-The-Cocoanuts