*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938888-This-Just-In---July-31
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#938888 added July 31, 2018 at 10:19pm
Restrictions: None
This Just In - July 31



I saw an article earlier today about the Tour de France winner, Geraint Thomas, and didn't really care enough to read and write up a blog about it. The Tour de France just isn't my thing. But then I saw this article and, well, rooting for the underdog is kind of my jam, so I decided to take a look. Wow is this guy impressive.

The Tour de France is a 2,082-mile bicycle race, which includes traversing 26 mountains and 13.5 miles of rickety cobblestones. You have to qualify for 21 separate stages, during which something like 15-20% of all race competitors are ultimately culled by withdrawing or being sent home by race officials for falling too far outside each day's stage-winning time. At first, it might not seem like a notable event to have a guy finish dead last in 145th position... until you know the story of what happened to him at the very beginning of the race.

On the very first day of the competition, a skittering water bottle sent his bike tumbling and Lawson crashed out, fracturing his shoulder blade. He was determined to keep going and, after being medically cleared insisted on continuing with the race even though doctors warned it would be extremely painful to continue. And he proceeded to spend the next 21 days on his bike, riding up and down mountains, and over those 13.5 miles of rickety cobblestone streets. With a fractured shoulder blade. While continuing to qualify his time every. single. day. despite three stops a day for medical aid and chiropractic sessions.

His goal was to donate $100 for every stage he completed to the velodrome in Houston where he first got into cycling. His story caught on with so many people that strangers took to donating and well and helped him raise over $225,000 for the track. Because of his tenacity, he also became the first American to win the "Lanterne Rouge," the recognition given for being the rider in last place. He's also believed to have set a record for being the rider with the longest time in that position during the race.

Interestingly, Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas has a unique sense of sympathy for Craddock... in 2014, Thomas also crashed on the first day and fractured his pelvis... and also manged to finish the race.

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I could even finish a 2,000+ mile bike ride at all, let alone a timed one with a fractured bone aching the whole way. These guys are tough!

© Copyright 2018 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938888-This-Just-In---July-31