*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939689-This-Just-In---August-13
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#939689 added August 13, 2018 at 11:52pm
Restrictions: None
This Just In - August 13



I'll admit that few things brought me as much happiness this weekend than reports that the handful of white nationalist rally members in Washington, D.C. this weekend were absolutely drowned out by several hundred counter-protestors speaking out against their message of white supremacy and racial bias. In the world of John Oliver on Last Week Tonight, "Massive dozens of white nationalists gathered in D.C., where they were met by hundreds of counter-protestors calling them all assholes." *Laugh*

Even better was the news that this was a peaceful protest (and counter-protest), unlike the Charlottesville rally from a year ago when counter-protestor Heather Heyer was killed by a white nationalist demonstrator.

With the recent uprising of nationalist, racially charged, bigoted sentiment out there, I've often wondered if there would ever be a point where we can get back on the right track and start mending wounds and sharing what we have in common rather than focusing on what divides us. I'd like to think that this is the first of many signs that people are finally starting to tire of people who feel emboldened to express this hate openly in the world, but the truth is this could be a one-off event, or a blip on the radar. I certainly hope not.

All I know is that when the "Unite The Right 2" organizers anticipate 400 white nationalists show up and only two dozen actually make an appearance, it brings a smile to my face and gives me hope that we can get past this ugly point in our history.

© Copyright 2018 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939689-This-Just-In---August-13