*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941387-NaNomaterials
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#941387 added September 14, 2018 at 12:36am
Restrictions: None
NaNomaterials
Ever since I first heard of NaNoWriMo, I've been conflicted.

I don't generally jump on bandwagons. If something becomes popular, I view it with a certain amount of distrust. Yeah, I joined Facebook pretty early on, but I'm not active there anymore. And the first time I heard about Twitter, someone told me that some guy had rigged his office chair to tweet every time he farted. I swore then I would never be a Twat (or whatever they call people who go to Twitter), and nothing I've heard about Twitter since then has convinced me it's gotten any classier.

And no, this isn't some hipster thing for me. I won't join that group, either.

So I resisted NaNo for a while, but then "October Novel Prep Challenge [13+] came along, and I changed my mind.

Yeah, I promote the Prep a lot. No, I don't get paid to do it. Quite the opposite, in fact. So don't be thinking this is some sort of ad. Still, if one wishes to get one's thoughts together before tackling a novella in November (seriously, most published novels are longer than 50K words), it really does help. Point is, that activity gave me the motivation I needed to complete three works of fiction - and make a few attempts that went nowhere, but that's on me.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to attempt it this year. Of the three I've completed, two of them are crying out for sequels (or, really, continuations to make them 100,000 word novels), and I've got a couple of ideas for new ones, though none are very compelling to me.

Of the three I've done, one's straight science fiction; one's contemporary fantasy; and the latest is, well, not a serious attempt at getting anything publishable done - it's science fiction erotica. Naturally, that's the one I most want to continue with, and it's the one least likely to get read.

On the other hand, all three of those are in serious need of editing and expanding - while my first drafts tend to be more coherent than most, they're light-years away from perfect. So why start something new when I can't finish what I've already got going?

So, I don't know. If I don't Prep, I won't NaNo, so I need to decide by the time Prep signups close on 10/3.

© Copyright 2018 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941387-NaNomaterials