*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941970-Settings-as-to-Place
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#941970 added September 24, 2018 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Settings as to Place
Prompt: In your writing, do you use real-life settings (as to place) or made-up settings? What are the positives or negatives of each choice?

------

I do different things with settings. Sometimes a setting, whether it is from real life or made-up, becomes a character for me. If so, I have to be really attentive to it because a character puts a heavier responsibility on the shoulders of the writer.

Most of the time, I place my story in a made-up town in a known state or country or a neighborhood in a crowded city. Also, the era/time of the place, especially if a real one, has something to do with its usage. I can’t have a victim call a friend or the police on his cell-phone during the sixties and seventies, for example. We had no cell phones then here in the USA, and if anyone had something similar to it, they probably were with the CIA or they paid millions for one.

For me, setting as to place is something to consider seriously. for that reason, I always draw or use a map. Real-life settings are instantly recognizable and can draw the reader in immediately; therefore, even when writing fiction, I have to be perfectly correct. I can’t put a bookstore or a mall where a park stands, for example.

Real life settings are recognizable by name and can make the readers conjure up certain associations with the place. For this reason, I sometimes use the name of a state but put in it an imaginary town.

Made-up settings, on the other hand, let me off the hook from using the real facts. I can, in fact, alter the entire reality of the place and I may even place my story on another planet or galaxy. If so, I usually draw a map even with more detail because the reader's attention to detail becomes even more precise.

What makes a story, in my opinion, is not the place or the setting but the characters and the plot. Still, the setting is usually the frame the picture is shown in, and we know how important frames are to any work of art.




© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941970-Settings-as-to-Place