*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942016-Debates-and-Arguments
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#942016 added September 25, 2018 at 7:24pm
Restrictions: None
Debates and Arguments

Prompt: Is it important to provide different points of view, evidence for and against, and/or different possible interpretations of evidence, for an argument, a debate, or essay writing? What could be a good example of a fair argument?


-----

I think it is important to provide as many sides to a debate as possible. If preparing for a debate, it is a good idea to list the debate points and the framework and limits of the main theme. Usually, a logical point and an ethical point is there. Sometimes an emotional point is also introduced. Since each speech is timed and each round has a different purpose in a debate, it is imperative to study the matter at hand thoroughly, beforehand.

In an argument or essay, however, the writer needs to have a stronghold on a concept or belief and has to stick to it while interpreting the pros and cons for it and may consider offering different ways of looking at the subject.

For a fair argument, it works better to set some fair fighting rules beforehand. Without set rules, people usually get emotional and as a result, making sense suffers.

For example, a fair argument could be about capital punishment by providing the percentage of people on death row and their backgrounds. Even if capital punishment is justified in some minds, “If the background has had a hand in the crime, do we have the right to put that person to death?” is a good question that can be argued in a debate.



© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942016-Debates-and-Arguments