*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944219-Pitching-the-Piece-and-Political-Word-Play
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#944219 added October 26, 2018 at 9:14am
Restrictions: None
Pitching the Piece and Political Word Play

"Blogging Circle of Friends "
DAY 2168 October 26, 2018
Use these words to discuss your favorite political candidate----- talk, season,reform, earth, wax and ribbon


The midterms elections are almost upon us. In this charged political season there is nearly constant talk of the high stakes involved in the key races all around the country. I have tried to explore the candidates, tried to examine them with an open mind rather than with any bias resulting from a party affiliation. I've yet to find a favorite political candidate. In fact, I'm hard pressed to find anyone who inspires me. I feel when I vote it will be more of selecting the best of a mediocre field of potential leaders. I'm tired of the talk of reform. With wide ribbon of division running through this country, I can't even be sure what we are supposed to be reforming anymore. Human rights seem relative to where you live and what little cardboard sign says that you stake in your front yard. Though my passion for politics can admittedly wax and wain, this year I feel heavy with the responsibility of the choices, fearful that regardless of what party wins the most seats, we will still be a nation severely divided on the other side. Sometimes I think we could all benefit from a wider view. Perhaps if we all had the opportunity to view the Earth from orbit, we would see we only have this one planet...this one ball of gas and water hanging in the infinity and vastness of space. Perhaps it would humble us more? Perhaps it would realign our perspectives?



"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
DAY 1775 October 26, 2918
Give us your best sales pitch on why we should publish your book or blog. Every author that wants to be published has got to learn the art of pitching to an agent or editor.


"I don’t remember the first time I drowned. My mother refused to speak of it. The trauma from my near demise was so deeply rooted that even the mere mention of the incident would drive her into a fury after which she would retreat into a migraine-fueled gloom for days."

This is the opening line to a story about a young woman named Nerina who nearly drowned at the age of three. Her cousin found her, limp below the dark surface of the lake. They brought her back that day on the sand but it would be more than a decade before she would come to realize something else had come back with her. Years later, a forbidden trip to a local quarry at the age of 15 would finally unlocked the unique ability Nerina's brush with death had gifted her. For Nerina, water was a conduit to the voices of the dead.

Pitching a story, even writing an adequate synopsis, is a very daunting task. It is something I struggle with almost as much as writing the novel itself. I'm much more comfortable with craft short stories or keeping the creative juices flowing with blog assignments. There is at least one novel inside me, based on the premise above. Perhaps one day I will have the time and the discipline to work on it more diligently and maybe then my pitch will be more compelling...one can hope!

© Copyright 2018 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944219-Pitching-the-Piece-and-Political-Word-Play