*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945680-Earths-Shape
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #2170111
This blog contains responses to blog prompts, & thoughts on spiritual or religious themes
#945680 added November 16, 2018 at 7:06pm
Restrictions: None
Earth's Shape
Istiqlál (Independence), 13 Qudrat (Power) 175 B.E. - Friday, November 16, 2018

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer

Only 66% of 18-24 year olds in the US are certain the Earth is round. Thoughts?

What shape does the other 34% of 18-24 year olds think the Earth is? Is this 34% members, or potential members, of the Flat Earth Society? Does this group think Earth is shaped like a Rubik's Cube? Have they ever gotten off their smartphones long enough to look at the horizon and watch the sun rise or set? Did this 34% fail science or astronomy class? I don't think they come be from another planet, because they would have noticed the shape of the Earth from the flying saucer or whatever means of interstellar or interplanetary transportation they used to get here.


Do you know what the scariest thing about the 34% of the 18-24 year olds that "question" the shape of the Earth? They are votes, or potential voters! These are part of the generation who will be running this country for decades to come. If any of them get into a political office, America will be screwed worse than it already is. If they don't believe that the Earth is round neither do they believe in climate change.

At 18, people are old enough to take responsibility for their own opinions. They are old enough to ask questions about the things they were taught by their parents and other adults in their lives. One of the problems is lack of critical thinking being taught by parents or in the schools. However, a person can learn to think critically, after they leave home or graduate from high school. It's difficult to learn how to think critically later in life, but it isn't impossible. Individuals need the right incentive or epiphany of some type to begin an independent search for knowledge.


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945680-Earths-Shape