*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946607-Movies-For-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#946607 added November 30, 2018 at 2:18pm
Restrictions: None
Movies For Christmas
         What is it about Christmas movies? We've seen them all at least once, some too many times to count. But we still want to see them again, with old friends, new friends, with strangers. Or see them on the big screen after so many years on a TV screen. In the theater you have an audience who knows the film almost by heart, yet they still laugh, and ooh and ah at the same time.

         Tonight I hope to see Home Alone. I just watched it on TV a few weeks ago. I had forgotten how funny it was. Tonight our Downtown, which turned Main Street into an outdoor mall with a lot of quaint shops and big community areas, is having a Grand Illumination, followed by a free showing in the old movie theater (circa 1932). They expect over a 1000 people, so I may not be able to get in. I would pass on that particular movie, but my 90 year old father wants to see it. He might not be able to navigate in that kind of crowd, either. We'll see.

         Closer to Christmas, they'll be showing White Christmas for $7. Granted you can see it at home for free on many channels. But I saw it a few years ago in that same refurbished theater, and it was much more exciting on the big screen with all the long time fans. When that woman is tapping those red heels in a close up shot, the big screen mesmerizes the way the small screen can't match. And as we all filed out of the theater afterwards, there was that communal cheer that made you feel the spirit of the holiday. A lot of smiling, happy people in one confined space forced you to be jovial.

         There are quite a few versions of A Christmas Carol, most quite good, each having its own perspective. The musical version is Scrooge with Albert Finney. They showed Scrooge on campus when I was in college; the whole campus seemed to be dancing and singing after it let out. The comical version is Scrooged, but I wouldn't recommend that for kids. Then there are the TV versions which are okay, even a Mickey Mouse version.

         I'm fond of a black and white Christmas in Connecticut, starring Barbara Stanwyck. Newer versions have been done, but aren't as good.

         I love A Christmas Story. I've only seen it on TV, but I loved Daren McGaven even when I was a kid (in a pure, wholesome way). I could watch that movie over and over. I love the leg lamp, the voice of the narrator, that cute little blond boy with the glasses. My dad and I watched Holiday Inn the other night, still in black and white. There's Elf, The Santa Clause, Santa Claus 2 (I think there were 3 with Tim Allen-they're all great), Christmas With The Kranks -based on Grisham's Skipping Christmas, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and a few others. They're all worthy of watching over. The ultimate is probably It's A Wonderful Life.

         There are a lot of Christmas movies. They aren't all worthy of being called classics. There was a Santa Claus moving starring a very handsome Kevin Sobo; it made me take notice. A slim handsome guy turning into Santa, but I've never seen it shown again. Hallmark does a lot of Christmas romances, and shows them several times every year. They aren't classics either, and aren't really for kids, even though they are clean enough for kids to watch. Love Actually was not a Made for TV movie, and it stars a lot of good actors, but it's a little rough for kids to watch. Yet it is becoming a classic for some people.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946607-Movies-For-Christmas