*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946640-A-class-act
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#946640 added December 1, 2018 at 8:57am
Restrictions: None
A class act
Politics has become such a toxic subject that I'm reluctant to even think about it, much less write about it.

However, I woke up this morning to the news that the elder Bush had passed away in the night. I'm old enough to remember when he was vice president and was regularly made fun of by stand-up comedians and late-night show hosts. Most of whom are now dead or retired themselves. It's sometimes a little scary to see how much time is passing.

We did not realize it at the time, but the first Bush administration was one of the last phases of the era of civility in our political culture. What we have become now would be unrecognizable to the Founders...a nation of screaming, swearing cretins who embrace ignorance over wisdom and place those who can shout the loudest over those who can speak eloquently. And all the while, the enemies who engineered this strife are watching and waiting with glee as the cracks widen. There are days when I don't know whether to be disgusted or terrified...or both.

R.I.P. Bush Sr. I was not a supporter of yours, but you had class and I respect that. I pray that there are those out there who will remember what classy behavior is as we continue our downward spiral. Somebody's gonna have to pick up the pieces, one day.

© Copyright 2018 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/946640-A-class-act