*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947903-Botanical-Gardens-for-Holiday-Lights
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#947903 added December 21, 2018 at 12:44am
Restrictions: None
Botanical Gardens for Holiday Lights
         I went with some friends to a botanical garden about 70 minutes away by Interstate. It was beautiful at night. They have a different theme each year. This year it was art. We were treated to outdoor scenes from O"Keefe, Surat, and Monet to name a few, in light displays.

         They have pools all over, so the displays close to the water were reflected in the dark. There were giant flowers that you could reach out and touch, except that you might trip on all the ground lights.Lighted signs gave the artist name and a copy of the original painting that inspired the display.

         Pop culture featured Pokemon. In the children's section, there were animals and children at play in lights. They even had a maze, the title itself formed in light strands. Instead of corn or boxwood. they had a simple wire fence with Christmas lights. It was easy for a parent to find a child who couldn't find the right turn on his own.

         There was a giant peacock that apparently is put up each year in various locations. There was a quilt to reflect folk art. There were even 3 foot figures to represent Faberge eggs. Every tree or pole was wrapped in lights. The bridges and walks were draped with lights. Some areas featured several shades of orange. Others mixed purple and blue. Some mixed several shades of blue with green. It was spectacular.

         Inside the observatory was a giant tree made of artificial flowers where you could pose for photos and assistants to use your camera. There were toy trains that ran around hundreds of mums under glass. Even though it wasn't particularly Christmas or any holiday in theme, it was breath-taking and awesome. It put you in the holiday spirit.

         Our group had dinner there in the cafeteria. We also visited their unusual gift shop. There were many children there on a weeknight, and school was not out yet.

         You don't have to celebrate Christmas to enjoy a light show like this. But for the Christian or anyone celebrating another holiday, this kind of event intensifies the joy and the splendor. The genius involved designing these displays, and the long tedious hours building them are to be commended.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947903-Botanical-Gardens-for-Holiday-Lights