*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947955-Christmas-Shopping
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#947955 added December 21, 2018 at 11:48pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas Shopping
         Does anyone enjoy this? If I shop too early, then I see more things I like later, and people end up with too many presents from me. (Nobody ever does that for me.) Me dad bought his granddaughters an electric appliance each, and the next day it went on sale $10 less. He can't shop without me, so this becomes my duty, too. You stand in a long line and wait, then the cashier doesn't know how to do it. A manager has to be called who emphasizes that you won't get any rebates already mailed, and blah blah blah. The other customers start getting fidgety. Whatever happened to a service counter that handled adjustments and returns? *Giftr*

         The other problem we discovered is that kids don't stay the same size very long. Dad bought pajamas for the two three year olds, with me carrying, etc. The one who turned three in August probably wears a size three, at least for this winter. The one that turned three in November wears a 4 or a 5. He's four inches taller than his cousin. He looks slim; he's just on a larger ratio. If you don't work with toddlers every day like a pediatrician or a day school teacher, you can't be a good judge of these things. The small three year old also has a sister who's almost ten, but she only wears an 8, despite being tall. I talk to the girls, who keep me informed, so we didn't make any errors there. I'm torn between taking the pj;s back now of leaving them wrapped and returning after Christmas. The tall toddler lost his daddy last year, so his mother has her hands full with three kids.

         I tried looking at books. I discovered I'm usually interested in books that women like. It's hard to judge a good book for a man. I've discovered in the past that some people just don't read. Unless you know someone well. you can't choose a fragrance or cosmetics. Never give a woman wrinkle cream unless she asks for it. I've also discovered that others are as picky about their clothing as I am. Their tastes and mine aren't the same. I did get a really nice purse last year. It can't turn out that well two years in a row. What I think is a great gift for another person usually bombs.

         There was a time when I was young and single (now I'm old and single again) when there was something kind of exciting about shopping close to Christmas or on Christmas Eve. That last minute hustle and bustle of shoppers on a mission, last minute bargains. It was fun just to be a part of it, even if I didn't NEED to be there. Those days are long gone. Even the grocery store was elbow to elbow and all the cashiers had long lines. Maybe we're less patient as we get older, or we're more easily annoyed. Maybe it's the decline in service offered by stores that can't compete with on-line shopping.

         The parking lots may be full, but I will say they aren't as bad as before the Internet. Nobody is cussing you out because they want your space. That's an improvement.
*Xmastree* *Giftr*

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947955-Christmas-Shopping