*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948540-2018-Reading-List
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#948540 added December 31, 2018 at 2:27pm
Restrictions: None
2018 Reading List

It's the end of 2018, which means it's time to review all the reading and listening I've done over the past calendar year. Overall, it was a mixed bag... I listened to a massive number of podcasts, hit my book reading goal, and didn't get into too many screenplays or comics this year. Here's how 2018 breaks down:


*Star* = favorite
*ThumbsUp* = also really enjoyed


Books (click to expand full list)

I read about a dozen fewer books than last year, but last year was a high-water mark with nearly 120 books read. Honestly, any time I surpass my goal of 100 books a year, I'm happy. *Smile*

For fiction, Collapsing Empire was probably my favorite book of the year thanks to its characterizations and unique worldbuilding, although there were a lot of books and authors old and new that I really enjoyed. I finished making my way through Chris Fox's backlist (fiction and nonfiction), read some more Mark Dawson, and found a new author (Pippa DaCosta) that I really loved.

For nonfiction, Jon Acuff and Chris Fox had my favorite books of the year, all related to writing or general work habits/inspiration that I can apply to my writing.

Overall, it was a satisfactory reading year. It felt like I discovered fewer amazing books that I've added to my all-time favorites, but I also had a lot fewer bombs that were a slog to get through. Most of the books I read this year were perfectly fine and enjoyable even if I don't plan on revisiting them.



Podcasts (click to expand full list)

I listened to way more podcasts than I ever have before, almost 1,000 episodes more than my previous record, and I have to admit that I think I'm just about podcasted out for a while... especially when it comes to current events and writing. I love advice and I love keeping current on everything that's happening in the world, but I look back on this year and wonder if I couldn't have better spent that time reading more books or *gasp* writing more during that time I spent listening to six to eight different news podcasts reiterating the same current stories each week. I expect my podcast count to take a big dive next year because I'm going to try to be more discerning about what I listen to and will most likely cut out some of the daily podcasts and other advice podcasts that are starting to feel a little tedious to listen to.



Comics (click to expand full list)

I didn't read a single comic book or graphic novel this year, so I've got a pretty low bar to clear next year. *Wink*



Scripts (click to expand full list)

I'm not putting any favorites or highly recommended on the script section of my reading list because a lot of the writers on this list are my friends and/or colleagues and I don't want to play favorites with my friends and business associates. *Smile*



TOTALS: 107 books, 2,355 podcasts, 0 comics, 22 scripts


According to Goodreads, my book reading resulted in the following stats:

         Total Pages Read: 31,838
         Average Pages Per Book: 300
         Shortest Book: 77 pages
         Longest Book: 1,193 pages


That's it for my 2018 reading... time to see what 2019 has in store! *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2018 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948540-2018-Reading-List