*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949929-Friday-Food-Entry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #2170111
This blog contains responses to blog prompts, & thoughts on spiritual or religious themes
#949929 added January 18, 2019 at 1:30pm
Restrictions: None
Friday Food Entry
Istiqlál (Independence), 19 Sharaf (Honor) 175 B.E. - Friday January 18, 2019

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer

How much do you know about food waste in your country? Spend some time researching this issue and share a fact you learned. How conscious of your access to food are you and in what ways can you be more responsible for reducing your own food waste?

 At the Food Bank  (ASR)
We are united in our poverty
#2070140 by Prosperous Snow celebrating

My experience with the prevention of food waste is on a more personal level. As a Senior Citizen, living on a fixed income, I have to get part of my monthly food from food banks. Fortunately, there is a Senior Citizens commodities program that gives anyone over 60, who needs it, two bags of food a month. These bags include canned goods, milk, cheese, cereal, and some type of canned meat. In addition to the Commodities program, there are food banks that take donations from supermarkets and other places that sell to the public. I know that Starbucks donates some of the food they do not sell to the food banks.

One of the grocery stories has "Manger's Specials" on meat that is close to the sell by date. The price is cut in half. Another supermarket has buy one and get one free on items that are close to the sell by date. One thing I have learned about the "sell by date" is that many food items, especially canned goods, do not spoil if the sell by date is past. The sell by date, on canned goods, appears (to me) to be the day they taste best when used by, and after that date they are still editable.

© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949929-Friday-Food-Entry