*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951662-Dont-Put-Dirt-On-My-Grave-Just-Yet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#951662 added February 10, 2019 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
Don't Put Dirt On My Grave Just Yet
DAY 7

"Don't Put Dirt On My Grave Just Yet"
from the Nashville Soundtrack




I'm including the whole scene from the show, including snippets before and after because the context is part of the reason why this song gives me chills every time I listen to it. If you're not familiar with the show, Hayden Panettiere plays Juliet Barnes, a hugely popular country star who gets into trouble when someone edits a video of her out of context saying that there is no God. Fans start to hate her, burn her records, etc. It's basically a fictionalized version of what happened to Dixie Chicks and their comments about President Bush and the war in Iraq. See the "The Long Way Around for more about that.

BTW, see how this week came full circle?



Anyway, Juliet is already scheduled to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, and the president of the label wants her to use the opportunity to make a grand speech, take all the blame, apologize, and grovel for forgiveness. Everyone thinks she should do it, but Juliet has other plans, even if it means being judged by a whole lot of people and potentially ending her career.

I just really admire someone who's not afraid to do what their heart is telling them, even when it's hard. In life, it's so tempting to do the easy thing, to compromise our values, especially when our careers, livelihoods, reputations, etc. are on the line. Just apologize when you don't mean it. Just say it's your fault when it's not. Just prostrate yourself in front of people with more power than you and hope they allow you to keep doing what you're doing. So I admire the hell out of people (even fictional characters) who follow their values even when it's hard. Because they wouldn't really be convictions if you gave them up at the first sign of trouble, would they?

This song always pumps me up and inspires me to stick to my guns when I truly believe something. And even when times are down, don't put dirt on my grave just yet because I'm never going to just lay down and die. I'm going to keep getting up and keep fighting.


-------------------------
Written for "The Soundtrack of Your Life

© Copyright 2019 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/951662-Dont-Put-Dirt-On-My-Grave-Just-Yet