*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952438-Can-the-Human-Soul-be-Degraded
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #2170111
This blog contains responses to blog prompts, & thoughts on spiritual or religious themes
#952438 added February 19, 2019 at 5:46pm
Restrictions: None
Can the Human Soul be Degraded?
Fiḍál (Grace), 13 Mulk (Dominion) 175 B.E. - Tuesday, February 19, 2019

GROUP
Blogging Circle of Friends   (E)
A group for WDC bloggers.
#1901868 by Lyn's a sly fox

DAY 2284: “The soul that is within me no man can degrade.” – Frederick Douglass
Let this quote by Mr. Douglass inspire your blog entry today.

“I swear by My life! Nothing save that which profiteth them can befall My loved ones. To this testifieth the Pen of God, the Most Powerful, the All-Glorious, the Best Beloved.”
Baha'u'llah1

Can the human soul be degraded? According to the Cambridge Dictionary the definitions for degrade are (1) "to reduce the quality of something", (2) "to cause someone to seem to be worth less and lose the respect of others", and (3) "to cause people to feel that they or other people have no value and do not have the respect or good opinion of others".2 So, Mr. Douglass is right about no man being able to degrade his soul. Individuals can degrade their own souls by not showing it the respect that it deserves by believing they do not have a soul, or that their soul does not survive the death of the body.


Before becoming a Baha'i, I wondered about my soul. I wondered it the things that had befallen me as a child would condemn me to hell. After because a Baha'i, I realized that the things which had befallen my in the past, the things that are befalling me in the present, and the things that will befall me in the future, can only polish my soul's mirror and assist it to reflect spiritual attributes, the attributes of God. Therefore, my soul is not degraded because every test and difficulty I have face, am facing, or will face can only profit my soul by improving its receptivity to the light of the All Glorious Lord.

Footnotes
1  Advent of Divine Justice, page 69.
2  https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/degrade


© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952438-Can-the-Human-Soul-be-Degraded