*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956255-On-the-nightstand-part-the-third
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#956255 added April 10, 2019 at 8:04am
Restrictions: None
On the nightstand, part the third
Yesterday I began reading M. John Harrison's The Pastel City, which I recall Neil Gaiman recommending in The View from the Cheap Seats. This slim novel was written in 1971 and looks every bit of it, from the figure of a knight on the cover to the title's font that screams '70's. The protagonist, Lord tegus-Cromis, is already known to me from a short story by the author called "The Lamia and Lord Cromis" which I read many years ago. Harrison's hero is moody and his world bizarre...a fantasy civilization that has grown over the rubble of a prior technologically advanced one. And the writing is beautiful, which brings this world up nearly to Lovecraftian fever dream levels. It is a delight.

Among my irons in the writing fire is one that I've been mulling over for a few days; an article on Weird Tales which seems to be dead again. Others have already written about the Unique Magazine's last incarnation and how it went sideways, but I fear it will get lost if someone doesn't try to resurrect it one more time. I don't entirely understand what happened there (someone of Marvin Kaye's caliber certainly should have been able to make the magazine thrive), but it would be a pity for it to slip into obscurity so close to its centennial. So I may dig into that.

In the meantime, the workday beckons...

© Copyright 2019 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/956255-On-the-nightstand-part-the-third