*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957571-Scene-09--Standing-on-the-Corner
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#957571 added September 27, 2020 at 2:38pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 09 _ Standing on the Corner
}
Scene 09 Rev E

Scene 09 “Standing on the Corner”


Torey Campbell (still wearing church shoes) – Protagonist
Miles Hawkins – Torey’s friend 1
Jake Shapiro – Torey’s friend 2
Rufus Kenly – Bully 1
Nestor Ramirez – Bully 2


         School was out. The late August sun had been baking the concrete and bricks since sun up, giving no clue that autumn was approaching. The day in the Butler Cowan Middle School brick oven had been torture. Torey Campbell was glad it was over. He walked across Fletcher Avenue to join the guys hanging in front of Kopischke's Market. He thought about what Miles Hawkins had told him at lunch but dismissed it as he exchanged greetings with his friends and joined the group. Miles Hawkins and Jake Shapiro were leaning against the bars shielding the front window of the store talking about money – more accurately ‘lack thereof.’
         Torey joined in. "Man, I need money.”
         "What do you wanna buy?" Miles asked.
         Kopischke’s Market is a typical corner store in a low-income neighborhood of a big city. To the locals, it’s a ‘bread and milk' convenience store. To the teenagers, it’s a social center where small groups of different ages hang out at different times of the day. To Kopischke, it’s a meager livelihood for him and his wife.
         "I don't mean for just one thing,” Torey replied, “I mean regular, all the time."
         "Got to get a job," Shapiro offered as if the obvious was a revelation.
         "I can't get a job that pays anything. Jobs for kids are all part-time and low wage," Torey responded.
         "Leon Bertozzi is pushing drugs and is looking for someone to put inside Butler Cowan School, maybe you could work for him," said Miles. Miles made no mention of his lunchtime conversation with Torey.
         "Iceman Bertozzi is one mean dude,” said Jake, “I wouldn't wanna tangle with him."
         "I gotta do somethin’. Right now, I need soccer shoes."
         Hawkins looked at Torey surprised. "Soccer shoes! Since when you been playin soccer?"
         "Just started."
         Miles stood upright and called out to a non-existent crowd "Hey. Listen up everybody! Torey Campbell's gonna be a soccer star."
         Jake picked up on the humor. "Hey Torey! Can I have your autograph?" … and what’s with those shiny black old peoples shoes you’re wearin’? Is that what soccer stars wear?”
         “These are my church shoes. I blew out my regular shoes yesterday at practice. These are the only other shoes I have.”
         Miles couldn’t resist, so the sarcasm flew. “Church shoes, soccer shoes? So you play soccer and go to church? Who are you, and what did you do with my friend Torey?”
         "I like the game, and I'm on a team," said Torey, ignoring the teasing.
         "What team is that?" asked Hawkins.
         "Mr. Dreyer, the high school coach has a feeder team for middle school kids. Addo Okoro took me. They invited me to join."
         Jake was genuinely pleased, "That's great Torey."
         Miles perked up at the mention of Addo’s name. “Okoro? That the jigaboo you were with at lunch?”
         “Yeah,” replied Torey, irritated at the unnecessary slur but deciding to let it pass.
         Hawkins turned negative. "Not for me man. Too much like work. Sports are for suckers."
         Jake followed, "Me neither. I get enough of school. I ain’t givin up any more time. I got better things to do."
         Torey looked at the two of them with a confused expression on his face and tone in his voice. "What better things?"
         Miles answered sharply, "I'd rather be hangin’ here than bustin’ my butt chasin’ a stupid ball."
         Idle teenagers hanging in front of and along the side of the store were a necessary cost of doing business for Kopischke. Their loitering about in front of the store costs him some customers, but their purchase of soft drinks, snacks, and cigarettes provide compensating income. Regular police patrols keep things quiet.
         Maybe he's right. Do I really want to do this? thought Torey.
         "Look what's comin’ our way," said Miles, changing the subject as he looked toward the school.
         "Three beauties," said Jake.
         Miles jumped in. "Torey. There's a redhead just for you.", a reference to Torey’s red hair.
         Torey ignored them both. That’s Viviana Tessaro and her two friends – man she is pretty.
         Jake voiced a different opinion, "The brunette is too fat."
         Miles picked up the banter. "You like 'em skinny, Jake?"
         "Yep."
         Miles continued. "The brunette has nice boobs."
         She sure does, thought Torey
         Jake replied, "Yeah. But I like the redhead’s legs. What do you think, Torey? You're awful quiet."
         Torey came back into the conversation, "It doesn't matter. None of you are ever gonna get close to any of them.”
         “Hi, Viviana,” Torey said, directing his words to the brunette.
         “Hi, Torey,” all three girls replied in a sing-song chorus, followed by giggling.
         Viviana smiled and nodded to Torey as the three girls entered Kopischke’s
         Jake, surprised, turned from looking after the girls to Torey. "Wait a minute. Torey, you know those girls?"
         "Just the brunette. She's in my science class. Just met her this morning. Her name is Viviana Tessaro.
         Miles, now also surprised, exclaimed, "Torey, you’re no end of surprises today. You go to church, you’re playing soccer, you hang out with blacks, you got a thing goin’ with that fat brunette, and you takin’ science?"
         "Yeah. I’m all surprises," replied Torey sarcastically.
         "Why you takin’ science, Torey?" asked Jake, honestly confused.
         "Why not?"
         "Because it's hard, man. Besides you don't need that stuff to get a job."
         Torey countered, "I think it will be interesting and the easy courses are boring."
         Miles joined in, siding with Jake, "Who cares about boring? I'm not gonna do any work I don't have too. Easy courses mean good grades with no work. That's my motto."
         Torey did not respond. Boy. I just don't get it. He suddenly felt very out of place.
         The conversation continued, putting down sports and everything else that required any exertion. Torey remained silent.
         The door to Kopischke's Market opened, and the three girls emerged.
         Miles spotted them first, "Here they come."
         Viviana gave Torey a smile and a little wave.
         Miles began the taunting, "Hey beautiful, what's your name? I'm Miles. I've been waitin’ just for you."
         Jake jumped on, "I'm Jake. You wanna go out with me?"
         The girls walked back in the direction of the school, giggling and ignoring the catcalls from the boys. Torey watched Viviana silently. The redhead turned and waved.
         Jake had to say it. “Torey – the redhead waved. Must have been for you. You know, mutual attraction between redheads. I think she’s your girl.”
         Miles and Jake continued their game.
         Miles: "Hey baby. This is your lucky day. I'm available tonight. What time shall I be there?"
         Jake: "Honey, this is lust at first sight. Let me show you how much fun we can have together."
         Miles: "I'm the strong silent type."
         Jake: "I'll pick you up at seven!"
         Torey finally interjected, smiling, "You got to get a better line, Jake."
         With the girls now out of hearing range, and obviously not interested, Jake and Miles turned negative. They had been ignored and didn’t like it.
         Jake: "Boy are they stuck up."
         Miles: "Yeah. They're not so good looking after all."
         Jake: "The redhead is too skinny."
         Miles: "The brunette is too fat."
         Jake: "I don't like any of them, really. Too many fish in the sea to waste time on them."
          "You guys are so cool,” Torey finally commented, “They don't know what they're missing."
         They’re not missing much, Torey thought, What jerks.
         The jovial trash talk ended, and the mood quickly turned dark.
         Hawkins was the first to speak. "Uh Oh. Here come Kenly and Ramirez."
         "Those guys are trouble," Jake said.
         Rufus Kenly swaggered on to the scene with the air of being ‘Thug in Charge’ – although he was not very big or muscular. "Hey man. What are you punks up too?"
         He was accompanied by his shadow Nestor Ramirez, who also thought himself to be a real tough guy.
         "Just hangin’, Rufus," Miles replied, looking down at the ground in deference to Kenly.
         "Anybody seen Bertozzi?" asked Ramirez.
         Jake answered for the group, "Naa."
         Rufus looked up and down Archer Boulevard, then informed the group, "He's supposed to meet us here for some business," trying to sound secretive and mysterious.
         Torey spoke up. "Haven't seen him in several days. What kind of business?"
         Nestor shot back, "Not for you to know, smart guy."
         Jake tried to draw attention off Torey. "You looking to score?"
         "Maybe? What do you care?" Rufus answered.
         Miles tried to sound wise and be informative "This is not a good corner for drug deals."
         Nestor, who couldn’t stand being ignored, threatened, "Says who? You trying to run us out?"
         "We own this territory, and we'll work wherever we want. Anyone gets in our way gonna see real trouble," said Rufus.
         Jake Shapiro humbled himself replying weakly, "Sure man. Didn't mean nothin’ by it."
         Nestor, all puffed up and full of himself, added, "You guys mess with us, and you'll be face down in the alley."
         Torey brought the hostility level down by asking straightforwardly, "Is Bertozzi looking for kids to sell?"
         Rufus replied gruffly, "Why? You wanna get in on our business?"
         Jake chimed in, "We've been thinking about it?” wanting to sound important.
         Nestor was getting restless. "Let's move on Rufus,” he said, “Any of you guys see Bertozzi, tell him we were here looking for him.”
         “We’ll pass the word of your interest to Bertozzi,” Rufus said, as the two walked away.
###

Word Count: 1,571
Readability Consensus (based on 8 readability formulas)
         Grade Level: 4
         Reading Level: easy to read.
         Reader's Age: 8-9 yrs. old (Fourth and Fifth graders)
© Copyright 2020 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/957571-Scene-09--Standing-on-the-Corner