*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962192-One-Bourbon-One-Scotch-One-Beer
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#962192 added July 7, 2019 at 12:12am
Restrictions: None
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
It’s the Sunday News! Reflect on the first week of July. Are you on track to meet you goals? What are your plans for the rest of the month?

Goals? Plans? A Jedi craves not these things.



I was wrong when I thought I knew the worst thing about losing weight.

First, I thought it was that I'd have to buy all new clothes. Well, it turns out that if you don't go out very much, you don't need many clothes, so my expenses in that regard have been minimal. It also turns out that no one gives a shit if you wear a t-shirt that's two sizes too big. Pants are another issue, but that's what belts are for. And it's not like my shoe size has changed. Still, I have a ways to go, so we'll see.

Then, I thought it would be discovering that it wasn't my weight that made people recoil in disgust whenever they encountered me, but my personality. There, it turns out I was mostly wrong; some people really are that shallow. That's okay. I can be shallow, too. (For many, it's definitely my personality. I can tell, because the "looks" ones immediately run away, while the "personality" ones wait until I say something, and then run away.)

But no - beyond all doubt now, the worst thing about losing weight is this: my alcohol tolerance has been severely diminished.

That's not an unmitigated negative - after all, it means less money spent on booze, and if there's anything I like better than booze, it's money. But sometimes I like to try several drinks in a short period of time; it takes advantage of my one superpower, which is being able to mix any type of drinks in any order without getting sick. None of this trying to memorize the whole "liquor before beer, never fear; beer before liquor, never sicker" thing. Or is that the other way around? Like I said, I don't have to memorize it, so I don't care. Point is, a lower tolerance makes it less useful as a superpower.

I discovered this last week when a friend of mine came to town for a visit. We visited two breweries and sampled selections of their wares, and by the time we were done with the second one, I was definitely feeling the effects; I'm not used to that. I haven't been drinking much in general, so lack of practice probably contributes.

This had the other effect, combined with the pastrami reuben I mentioned in a previous entry, of setting my weight-loss progress back two weeks. Oops.

Well, whatever. I'm just continuing with the eat-less-and-exercise thing, at least until I go to Vegas for a week in mid-August. That'll probably set me back a month, but since I'm planning on it, that's okay.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962192-One-Bourbon-One-Scotch-One-Beer