*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962407-Are-You-Spiritual-or-Religious
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#962407 added July 12, 2019 at 3:56pm
Restrictions: None
Are You Spiritual or Religious?
         There is an assortment of answers. like both, neither, or it depends on the definitions. It turns out on study that both words have evolved within my lifetime, or actually the last several decades. I always knew that "religious" could have some negative connotations, especially if said with an attitude. But studies by theologians and church hierarchy that even the clergy have an almost exclusively negative view of the word. Generally, to them it's about business, handling what they are paid to do as administrators.

         "Spiritual" on the other hand implies searching. It involves experience and practice. More and more of every day people are identifying as spiritual and not religious. Spiritual is seen as acceptable, if somewhat blurry in its meaning. For most, it means a rejection of traditional religion or at least their parents' religion.


         Intellectuals claim this "spiritual but not religious" movement applies to all world religions. Buddhists, Moslems, and Hindus supposedly questioning tradition and are seeking something more meaningful. In my world, I encounter mostly Judeo-Christians people, but the Hindus I have known in the recent past, and even those who have converted to Christianity, still follow the teachings and preferences of their families. Of the Christians, I think there are two groups.

         The first encounter chaplains in prisons, hospitals, or the military. They have initiated the conversation. They seem to be sincere and making a genuine search for answers. The ones I have personally encountered are only using it as a cop-out. They want to live their lives with no accountability to others, including God or a higher power. They want to be in control of their own time, money, behavior, and thought, no rules or restrictions. Essentially, they make themselves god, and don't want anyone to criticize them for it. By claiming to be spiritual, they feel one step safer than those who reject the idea of God all together, sort of a celestial fire insurance, just in case there is life after death.

         Closer up in my own circle, most want to be both spiritual and religious. They enjoy the routine of church, choir practice, and opportunities for fellowship and community service. They also are trying to become better people and inprove their practice of their beliefs in terms of social justice and mercy as well as personal devotion.

         I have noticed, though, there is still a strong faction that wants church to be the way it was when they were younger. They think that if they try the same old things, or build a gym, or whatever, that the church will attract new members and regain its former glory. I think those days are gone for good. The question now is how do we adapt to the changing world, to help people grow spiritually and work to improve communities?

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962407-Are-You-Spiritual-or-Religious