*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964088-August-12-2019
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#964088 added August 12, 2019 at 7:01am
Restrictions: None
August 12, 2019
"August 12, 2019 An image for a blog that I hope will take root.Image for BCOF members to put in their blogsBlog City image small

An image for a blog that I hope will take root. Prompt: Talk a little about yourself. What positions do you hold in your church?

I am a member of my church, which means I am a soldier in the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army has two types of membership. A full member is a soldier. We wear uniforms and adhere to a chain of command. I personally treat my membership in the Salvation Army as if it were an enlistment in the US military. I adhere to the chain of command, never call an officer by name but rather address them by title, and carry out their wishes as if they are orders. Many members are much more lax than that.
The second type of membership is an adherent. Adherents agree with our doctrine and do their best to support the Salvation Army but are not under covenant as soldiers are. Soldiers sign a covenant with the TSA and with God stating that we will live godly lives and avoid worldly activities. Soldiers do not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, gamble, or act in other fashion that may reflect badly upon the TSA or upon God. We tithe our income, study the Bible regularly, attend church services, and serve others.
I am also one of two adult Sunday school teachers at my church. I am a commissioned local officer, which means I serve in an assigned post at my church. That post is adult ministries sergeant major. I see to it that the spiritual needs of the church are being met. I pray for those who need prayer and counsel those who need counsel. I am also the West Virginia Coordinating elder for the National Association of Christian Ministers.

Image for BCOF members to put in their blogs "Prompt: Write about August - the good, the bad, the ugly, or the beautiful. "

August in West Virginia is the month referred to as "dog days". Where that expression ever came from I have no idea. However, it refers to stifling heat,blazing sun, high humidity, stagnant water, and ragweed season. It can be pretty unhealthy in some ways but I think most natives become accustomed to it. The trick is to avoid water holes that are not free flowing. In other words don't swim in them. Also be sure to have allergy medicine on hand as ragweed will get you. Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are also bad this time of year, though by now they may take on a reddish color making them easy to identify. I don't have to worry about them as I am no longer allergic.
August also has many pluses in West Virginia. This is harvest season so nature rewards us with lots of fresh produce. I just ate a fresh peach moments before starting this blog and have another waiting for me. They will be my breakfast. We also often have fresh tomatoes, fresh potatoes, fresh green beans, and fresh eggs. Many people have never had a fresh egg. Believe me, once you have eaten a fresh egg you never want to eat one from the store again. Fresh eggs have ten times the flavor and are so much prettier on the plate. You know the egg is fresh when the yolk is orange as compared to yellow. They are delicious but yard fed chickens often lay better in the summer.
August also means thunderstorms. Thunderstorms here are usually fantastic light shows and a lot of noise. They may do some light wind damage but they are usually not bad. Once in a great while they may produce a tornado but that is extremely rare. They are usually just noisy with fantastic lightning shows. August is one of my favorite months.

Signature for finalists in 2018 Quill Awards {2191828-33%}

© Copyright 2019 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964088-August-12-2019