*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965243-Can-human-beings-be-more-careful
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1891402
Miscellany
#965243 added August 30, 2019 at 2:01am
Restrictions: None
Can human beings be more careful?
Can human beings be more careful?


Leading a healthy life has become a challenge. It is a matter of great concern for all thinking human beings that we can no longer live as well as those of previous generations. Although, the reasons for concern vary from region to region, and from country to country, there are however, some general causes that worry the entire world. Vanishing forests and vegetation, decreasing water sources and environmental pollution, are some of those vexatious issues.

My grandfather, often wondered at the rate at which quality of life was deteriorating. He used to complain in his last years, at the crowds, dust and heat that did not allow him to walk at a comfortable pace on the roads; avenues, lanes and residential areas devoid of trees, unprecedented heat, and the malodorous air.

It is in this context, I raise the question, “Can human beings be more careful?” It is important that we, as refined and educated human beings should be careful in handling natural resources. In other words, we should be aware of our responsibilities towards preservation of trees, mountains, water sources like rivers, lakes and ponds, the oceans, and the maintenance of environmental cleanliness.

Regretfully, deforestation, which started with the intent of bringing down the level of the emission of greenhouse gases, and to make room for agriculture, and for infrastructure facilities to accommodate growing population in towns, cities and countries has become a major threat, not only to human life but also to wild life, and the survival of indigenous people and their culture. 

Forests and thousands of trees and plants, if felled at the present rate, endanger our lives because there no longer exists a way to absorb green house gases. Hence, they enter human atmosphere, pollute it, and rapidly increase global warming and cause air-borne diseases. Another important observation is, with the lack of tree cover to cool the atmosphere, heat melts polar ice and other ice bodies, bringing up the sea level, which in turn causes flooding of low lying areas. It paves way to more water to evaporate into atmosphere causing natural disasters like storms and hurricanes. Thus, deforestation causes ripple effects through the entire eco- system.

A piece of an insightful poem depicting the loss of trees comes to my mind.

“A fire burns in the ancient forest ~
Smoke floats to heaven
Choking the gods,
Bringing tears to their eyes and
Echoes of voices which will
never be heard again;”

One of the most alarming problems faced by our generation, is depletion of water sources. This is due to deforestation, poor rains, and increasing needs of growing population such as agricultural, industrial, housing and infrastructure activities. Due to open grounds, rain water does not seep into the earth, and there is no way to replenish the diminishing level of underground water. As a result, famine and food shortage take place.

Tapping underground water through bore wells wherever there is construction activity has caused depletion of water, in many developing countries like India. With climate change, rains do not occur in time and the water table continues to recede. The only way to limit or stop concentrated construction activity is to bring in legislation with necessary rules as to the number of floors in an apartment complex, and inclusion of trees and plants around the structures.

Water-harvesting, is an important milestone in our efforts to bring up the underground water level. In India, the practice of water- harvesting has started fetching good results. It is an old technique, rediscovered.

The next grave problem much talked about is, environmental pollution. Of the several other reasons, it is due to the release of carbon dioxide from the use of fuel for driving and flying purposes, and by the use of electrical gadgets to cool or heat in houses, apartments, banks and thousands of offices and similar buildings.

So, how can we be careful in handling natural resources? As individuals, we can take care of them in a number of ways. We can help grow trees, donate trees, plant them in and around houses, grow kitchen gardens, grow them by traditional methods like using natural fertilizers and pesticides, use cloth bags in place of plastic ones, and participate in science projects and campaigns that spread the message of growing more trees for keeping our planet green and clean. We can reduce our use of electricity, drive less and walk more, and most importantly keep ourselves and our surroundings clean.

If each of us works to keep our earth clean and green not as mere individuals, but as individuals belonging to the family of human beings, we can divert the danger of extinction of our race from the face of earth.

© Copyright 2019 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965243-Can-human-beings-be-more-careful