*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/968306-Midweek--Reflections-on-Why-I-hold-Science-in-High-Esteem
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #2170111
This blog contains responses to blog prompts, & thoughts on spiritual or religious themes
#968306 added October 23, 2019 at 1:19pm
Restrictions: None
Midweek Reflections on Why I hold Science in High Esteem
‘Idál (Justice), 8 ‘Ilm (knowledge) 176 B.E. - Wednesday, October 23, 2019

"Arts, crafts and sciences uplift the world of being, and are conducive to its exaltation. Knowledge is as wings to man’s life, and a ladder for his ascent. Its acquisition is incumbent upon everyone. The knowledge of such sciences, however, should be acquired as can profit the peoples of the earth … Great indeed is the claim of scientists and craftsmen on the peoples of the world."
Baha’u’llah12

'Abdu'l-Baha tells us, in The Promulgation of Universal Peace, that "Scientific knowledge is the highest attainment upon the human plane,"3 because it lets us explore reality. 'Abdu'l-Baha further states that there are two types of realit (1) material and (2) spiritual.4 We can use the scientific method to explore both types because we humans have both a material nature and a spiritual nature.

We use science to discover the universe in which we live. Since our scientific knowledge is always expanding and evolving, we can't discover absolute truth while living on the material plane. We can discover facts based on science, however, since the material/physical universe continues to evolve our scientific knowledge of the universe continues to change and evolve. This fact was brought home to me when I read 5 Accepted Climate Change Facts – and a Few Unaccepted Ones   by David Langness, which is Part 1 of the serues Climate and the Human Spirit  .

Science is one of God's gifts to humanity,
it helps us discover the inner reality of everything,
but in order to use science properly we have to learn to ask questions.


Footnotes
1  Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, pp. 26-27.
2  Quoted in 5 Accepted Climate Change Facts – and a Few Unaccepted Ones   by David Langness.
3  The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Page 136.
4  ibid.


© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/968306-Midweek--Reflections-on-Why-I-hold-Science-in-High-Esteem