*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972602-January-4-2020--Books-and-Movies
by Tinker
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2206515
BiMonthly blog challenge accepted with an occasional jaunt to the Banana Bar Challenge.
#972602 added January 4, 2020 at 2:20am
Restrictions: None
January 4, 2020 Books and Movies
PROMPT January 4


I used to be an avid reader but writing takes up so much of time these days that my reading has slowed from at least one book a week to one or two a month. I'm just finishing The New Girl by Daniel Silva, a thriller that bogged down in too many twists for me. I usually like that kind of story but this one was so complicated it lost me in places. I've stuck it out because I'm so close to finishing it, but actually haven't resumed in 2 days. My next book will be much lighter. I haven't made a decision yet.

As for movies, my husband and I have a standing date with another couple every Wednesday night to take in a movie and dinner out. We've been doing this for over 30 years. This week, because of the holiday, we went out twice, Wednesday and Thursday.

Uncut Stones with Adam Sandler was seen New Year's day and I hated it. It was a loud, frenetic movie with ugly characters. I was exhausted at the end. My friends, as well as some people we met in the elevator, felt the same. It was a slice of life with which I have no empathy.

Yesterday we saw Little Women, a delightful remake of an old classic and favorite of mine. I've read the book, probably more than once, I saw the June Allison, Peter Laurie movie version from the early 50s, the 94 version with Winona Ryder, Claire Daines, Susan Sarandon, and now the latest, with Saoirse Ronan and Emma Watson. There were surprisingly many in the theater reacting as if they never heard or saw or read this story before. I might have expected it of the few men that were there, but I assumed every girl read this book at one time or another. The 2019 version was different in that instead of telling the story chronologically, it uses flashbacks which were confusing to some. My friend Tom asked who died? I told him and his response was, "but, I just saw her get better". The divisions between flashbacks then flash-forwards weren't always clear. Especially to those who didn't already know the story.

I tend to like true stories. They always seem to be the best movies. I loved Ford Vs Ferrari , with Matt Damon and Christian Bale, a true story. It was fast and entertaining and we already were familiar with much of the story. My husband was the head of security at what was once Sears Point Raceway, now Sonoma Raceway and we knew many of the drivers portrayed in the movie. Bob Bondurant, a Le Mans champion driver who had his racing school at the track is a friend. He drove for Ferrari and later for Ford and maintained his relationship with Ford using Mustangs in his school. My son is a cop *PoliceCar* who honed his driving skills under Bondurant's tutelage as a young teen, he was the youngest student to graduate the racing course. Bob moved his racing school to Firebird Racetrack in Arizona many years ago. Facts you probably didn't want to know. *BigSmile*

There are some good movies on the horizon. The best ones usually come out this time of year, just in time for the Oscars. Since we see most of the oscar-nominated films in the year, we usually have an Oscar party, inviting other movie buffs to join us. Low key, nothing fancy but we drink a little wine, eat good food and watch the Oscars together.

Life is a celebration, live joyfully.

© Copyright 2020 Tinker (UN: tinker1111 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tinker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972602-January-4-2020--Books-and-Movies