*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/976523-The-merchants-dream
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#976523 added February 28, 2020 at 2:01am
Restrictions: None
The merchant's dream

When the Master was staying at the Ryomonji, a lay acquaintance of Zenko from Omi came to the temple and remained for some time. At his first interview with the Master, he accepted the essentials of his teaching, and thereafter simply followed along with the others, listening to the Masters' sermons.

Once, when the Master was receiving a group of new arrivals in the abbot’s quarters, this layman came forward and said:

"My home is such-and-such a village in the province of Omi. Originally I was a ronin, and, taking what savings I had in gold and silver I lent out money and grain to the people of the area and with the interest on these loans made my living.

However, a little over ten years ago, I left my business to my son, and, building a retreat in my garden, devoted myself to performing zazen and reciting sutras. I also went to study with various Zen masters, practicing single-mindedly.

However, last night, in a dream, I found myself back at home, reading sutras at the household shrine. Just then, a customer who had borrowed some rice came to pay his interest, and together with my son set about calculating the amount. In the midst of reading the sutras, I realized there was an error in their calculations, and just as I was telling them of it, I suddenly awoke from my dream.

Thinking over this, [I realize] just how deep and difficult to destroy are the roots of karmic nature! What sort of practice can I do to destroy my basic sinfulness?"

The layman was moved to tears by the strength of his feelings. Everyone present was impressed.

The Master said: "Was this a good dream or a bad dream?'

The layman replied: "A bad dream. It was for this that more than twenty years ago I abandoned all mercenary affairs to dwell in oneness with Buddha dharma, in circumstances of purity and tranquility, far from the tumult of worldly life. This is the sort of thing I [would expect to] see in my dreams, yet I am afraid the fact that what came to me were my old concerns of twenty years ago shows these have permeated my innermost-mind, and that distresses me."

The Master said: "This is what's known as being had by a dream."

The layman rose and prostrated himself. 'Today for the first time, he declared, I have been freed from endless kalpas of birth and death!”

And, reeling with joy, he went off.

© Copyright 2020 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/976523-The-merchants-dream