*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977915-Covid19
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#977915 added March 12, 2020 at 6:31pm
Restrictions: None
Covid19
How do you feel about how the corona virus is being handled? Are you personally worried about your safety?

         This is a two part question. There are still so many unknowns at this point, that it's impossible to handle it perfectly. I think the officials are doing the best they can at the state, local, and federal levels. There are enough tests for health care workers and people who feel sick or may have been exposed. However, the processing facilities are not prepared to handle the volume expeditiously. Several weeks ago I heard a health care expert say that a vaccine is about a year out. so it's possible this nightmare may linger. Hopefully, with testing and containment, it will slow down its spread.

         The travel ban to and from Europe was a surprise announcement Wednesday night, but it doesn't start until midnight Friday. That gave approximately 48 hours for people to go home on either side of the ocean. I think it was the right thing to do. Italy has open borders. so that's why all of Europe except the UK is included. The UK is more contained, and testing before boarding anyone.

         Leaving special measures, like school closures, to the local communities is also the proper thing to do. Nothing in my local area has been shut down, and we're pretty safe. We have a top notch hospital with state support. No one is turned away for non-payment. Everyone gets treated no matter what for anything. So far, no corona virus. Other areas are in danger of spreading the disease and need to take their own drastic measures. We hate what it's doing to the economy, but human life is more important than prosperity.

         The public needs to stay calm, however. Two weeks ago, Costco had sold out of its own brand of toilet paper. It was getting low on bottled water, as people took furniture carts full of water bottles out to their cars. Kroger has put limits as of today on certain items per order. This includes cold medicines, aspirin, etc. Of course, there are ways to get around that if you're really greedy. You make several orders a day when different people are working I think it's better to be mindful of others and share the available supplies. This should pass or die down in a month or three. More supplies will be coming in later. People should buy for no more than two weeks in advance.

         Hand sanitizer may be okay in some instances, but nothing takes the place of soap and water. You need to wash between your fingers and rub for 15 seconds (Happy Birthday sung twice). It helps to put the liquid or foam soap on before diluting. All frequently used surfaces, like hotel counters, fast food counters, grocery checkouts, drug counters need to wiped down frequently with antiseptic cleaner. Lysol and Clorox both make excellent wipes to kill germs, but you must let them air dry. Don't wipe dry. They are excellent for door knobs and toilet surfaces. When you get home from the grocery store, wash your fresh produce and wipe off the tops of cans before you open them. (You don't know who has touched that avocado or tomato or orange before you picked it up.)

         It must be an airborne disease as well as tactile, since sneezing and coughing could pass the germs. However, the air circulating systems on planes do a top notch job of filtering the air. You are in more danger sitting next to a stranger than breathing the air of the plane. Which brings us to staying at home instead of going to sports events--it is temporary--and the movies. Don't take your children to the Gymboree or whatever those kiddie play places are called. Even if they sterilize the equipment daily, that may not be enough to protect the children.

         Sadly, you must hold off visiting Grandpa or Aunt Sadie in the Senior Community, or anyone in convalescent care, like after surgery or a severe accident. You could be a carrier to a vulnerable person.

         Apparently, I am not concerned for myself. I have enough yard work to do that I won't get bored if we are told to stay home. And there's all those books I haven't read. Fortunately, we are always stocked a little in advance. We have some money saved up, so we can keep getting drugs and paying bills. We do not live or die by the stock market. If my area gets hit like Northern New York or Washington state, I will probably feel a little panic.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977915-Covid19