*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978113-Updating-News
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#978113 added March 14, 2020 at 4:29pm
Restrictions: None
Updating News
         Right after I wrote my blog Thursday night, they closed the city schools for two weeks. I live just across the county line, but they then announced all the schools in the state would be closed for two weeks. I starting getting notices Friday that the theater where I volunteer has canceled almost everything through April 5 and many things beyond that. (The schools in my area are letting the custodians and others work to earn a paycheck by sanitizing the schools while they are empty.)

         I took my dad to two grocery stores Friday to get our St. Patrick's Day items on sale, and the regular things at one of them. These stores were jam packed with people, a lot of the elderly wearing masks, most people wiping down their carts. All the Ramen noodles were gone! Bread was picked over, except for the bakery. Canned vegetables had empty shelves. I got one of the last bags of dry beans. Cleaning supplies were running low. Yogurt was almost depleted. The seafood section was completely empty and lights turned off. They still have frozen fish and shrimp.

         I went to the drug store to pick up two prescriptions today. The store was very busy, but not as many as usual were at the pharmacy counter. Next door, the Tractor Supply store had a large crowd looking at chickens in the parking lot; the baby chicks are kept inside. That crowd didn't mind brushing up against strangers.

         On the good news side, Friday morning, a prominent doctor announced on TV that Roche laboratories has improved the testing of COVID-19. Once they receive the test, the patient can get results in four hours. So advancements are being made daily. I am confused about obtaining a test. Many places are having drive up places to get a test, so you have minimal exposure to others. I realize they are waving co-pays, but don't they still have to process paperwork. And is a prescription needed? The same doctor said that you should be able to get a test on demand, just because you don't feel well, or you think you were exposed to someone. That leads me to believe you need a doctor's order to get a test. This doctor pointed out that you can get an HIV test just to be safe; you don't have to feel sick.

         Every death saddens us. We hate what this is doing to the economy. Some people feel that not enough has been done and not soon enough. Others complain that too much was done too soon. Nothing will please everybody. The most heroic actions will not please everybody. A large part of personal safety falls on us. We have to practice hygiene properly, refrain from vacations and stay away from crowded places. I am concerned about how many businesses will close this spring, and how many people won't have jobs once this is over. Lower taxes will help those who keep their jobs. Meanwhile they are forced to use sick time, vacation leave and holidays to help cover the time off. The year has just begun.

         We're not having church Sunday. It's canceled in keeping with the rest of the state and local churches, not out of fear, but with a concern for the safety of others. Many church goers are elderly and in the high risk group. They're going to attempt some live stream thing and let us know how to get it by tonight.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978113-Updating-News