*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978387-Reflections
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2214457
Here I go down a rabbit hole. What will I encounter? What will I write? Viva l'imagination
#978387 added March 29, 2020 at 2:10pm
Restrictions: None
Reflections
         PROMPT:2020...Reflect on all that's transpired so far. How is your year going? Right or wrong direction? Create a story or blog.
         
         
         
         
         
         Wow, reflect... At the moment, the world seems to be caught up in an unfathomable panic. Businesses, particularly restaurants, and public places such as arenas, concert halls, libraries, and movie theatres are closed. Travel has been curtailed with airlines cancelling flights to certain countries and borders shuttered. Schools are not open to staff and students for the next few weeks. All of this is an attempt to thwart or at least slow the COVID 19 pandemic.
         I've never witnessed panic purchasing before. Empty shelves in stores appear eery. Unfortunately, some people choose to become hoarders. That 'me first' mentality is frightening. Why is there this compulsion to stock up on toilet paper? There are jokes that cut to the ugly truth. This year will be known as The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020. What a legacy! On the flip side, many choose to share and support their fellow citizens. This selflessness is heartening.
         With the media's influence and its particular method of spinning the news, we now have two new phrases that illustrate the severity of this virus. We are cautioned to practise "self-isolation" and "social distancing." Introverts claim that they were prepared for this and they welcome alone time. Extroverts will struggle with no hugging, hand-shaking, claps on the back, kissing, and close body conversations. Imagine just waving from afar.
         In early February, before the virus-mandated lockdowns, I visited my youngest grand giggle, Alexandra, to celebrate her first birthday. It may have seemed a bit extravagant, but my daughter decorated with a plethora of baby shark-themed balloons and colourful posters. The catchy Baby Shark song is Alexandra's jam. She never fails to smile and bop along when I sing it to her. We adults appreciated the loving thought of the party "pretties." The birthday girl loved the balloons and summed up her delight with an emphatic, "Wow!" She grinned throughout the festivities, not complaining at the numerous photos snapped with her posing centre stage. Her exuberance and determination inspire me to appreciate the here and now. The moments transpiring today are precious.
         A reunion scheduled for the end of March has been cancelled because it's been deemed a hazard. Gatherings of fifty or more people are a no-no. I know this is necessary, but it's still disappointing. I anticipated a great deal of catching up.
         Up until this virus invasion,2020 had been a great year. I could and did travel where I wished visiting family and friends. I splurged on dining out. I could purchase what I wanted and as much as I could afford without worrying that there would be a high demand, or that I'd potentially be shorting someone else. I've lived long enough to see toilet paper and milk rationed. Closing a library seems inconceivable. No more movie date nights for the foreseeable future.
         Like all illnesses, this coronavirus will run its course. We will endure. I have a stockpile of books that beckon. I surf the internet. I occupy my mind with a few WDC projects. I suppose if I become really desperate and bored, I could evict the stubborn dust bunnies that lurk under furniture. If I run out of writing paper, I might attempt to type out my stories with the aid of my finicky keyboard. I can and will adapt. My imagination has been seeking my undivided attention. I may end up talking to myself, but there's no one with me to hear that. There are many months of 2020 ahead.
(603 words)

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978387-Reflections