*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979022-A-new-sort-of-life
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2161749
Just shooting the poop with Lori
#979022 added March 24, 2020 at 8:50am
Restrictions: None
A new sort of life
Life is definitely interesting these days! The many ways that life has changed so rapidly is mind boggling. From the challenges of finding food and toilet paper, to the currently low gas prices, to restaurants serving curbside, and to staring at the same faces of isolation day in and day out. I love my family but 24/7 of quarantine tends to dim the luster of my loved ones. I have no doubt that the feeling is mutual and that my luster is dim in their eyes as well. Having said that these people keep eating my last cookie and my son refuses to put a new roll on the holder. This too shall pass!

From a nurses view, life has a different look. The feelings of uncertainty of what might be heading our way is palpable. Not being an ICU nurse, I have minimum contact currently with the Covid patients. All patients presenting with symptoms are sent to ICU until ruled out. The floors that I work on then get the negative resulted victims. In the back of my mind, I utter a prayer for the quality of the testing but always I pray for my colleagues in the ED and ICU. With the elective surgeries and non-emergent admissions being suspended, our floors are slow with nurses being called off.I see that changing soon as the numbers climb. Even the sick people with different maladies are avoiding the hospitals, where at one time they showed up for broken toes in the middle of the night. The news each day delivers a sobering message of increased numbers, so I wait and worry.

My two college kids work in the food industry and are unemployed for the duration. The financial strain this puts on us and them is hard. But in this we are not alone, it is happening all over the country.The thought of kids going hungry or trapped in isolation with abusers depresses the hell out of me. I pray that we can soon rebound from this soon. My financial concern weighs less heavy than the life and death scenario playing out daily.

My high school senior is missing out on memories that will never be recaptured, It hurts this momma's heart but he is strong. He was born in January 2002, in the aftermath of 9/11 and he along with his classmates born in 2001 and 2002 will be remembered as the COVID generation. They were born to be resilient and will carve a new and stronger path for a future. They are survivors and I will forever be proud of them.

© Copyright 2020 L.A. Grawitch (UN: lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
L.A. Grawitch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979022-A-new-sort-of-life